[Arc 1.6]

"...You'll do us proud won't you?"

'Damnit...'

" We're doing this for your own wellbeing, my sweet Lena."

"Goddamn it!!"

Maria brought her car to a screech and slammed her fist onto the wheel. The anger in her eyes could be visibly seen as she remembered the sickeningly sweet tone of her supposedly 'parents'.

Of all the things her first world could've been, the parents of her body just had to be the same. Always expecting great things from her and not for her own but for their own benefit.

She hated it.

Hated their fake words. Hated their fake love. Hated their very being.

And when she thought they couldn't have been any worse...

[ Host? ]

The worried voice of her system brought her back to her senses. She could tell that he was worried about the sudden increase in her anger.

She took a deep breath before unfolding her tightly clenched fist. "What, system?"

There was a moment of silence for the two.

[ Nothing, it's just that we have arrived and with the OOC rule... ]

Much to his astonishment, she heard her snort. "I'm basically acting like myself but under a mask. Either way, I wouldn't be breaking it any time soon."

[ And there was the arrogant Lena he knew... ]

Shadow remained quiet as Maria pulled out an umbrella and went out together with sunflowers in hand. The loud splatters of rain indicated how heavy it fell. It didn't help with thunder roaring but none of it was worth any concern to her.

As she neared closer, she could see two lonesome figures. Only one umbrella held to shield them and even that was barely enough. The woman had short, greying mousy brown hair with gentle features but seemed pitiful as she cried. The man beside had a nearly bald patch of black hair that was greying with age, his looks could've easily paled beside the woman's but his eyes held a certain allure to it. They stood with an air of sadness in front of a poorly made grave as tears streamed down their faces.

Maria could recognize them as Bethany's parents and quietly as she could, she inched towards the pair. But it proved a fruitless attempt as mud sloshed with every step she took.

The pair noticed her but paid no attention as she went to her knees and laid down the flowers neatly. Afterwards, she hadn't gotten up but clapped her hands and closed her eyes. She prayed sincerely and no sooner did tears stain her cheeks too. The remaining emotions and memories of the original soul were chaotic. Even if Maria didn't want to cry, she could faintly feel the pain harbouring in the heart.

It was the same emotion, but it came to her harder and with more pain.

Excruciating. More painful than when a knife went through you. The tip as if it was drenched in ice and burned when it met contact. The heart felt like it was being torn into pieces.

_______________________________________

"Mary, my dear, I can't express.... just how much...I'm thankful that you...It came here." The soothing and wispy voice came from Mrs Lanés between hiccups. Her petite frame was being supported by her husband with his hands on her shoulders to avoid her to fall.

"It's nothing, aunty," she shook her head, "it's the least I could do for her, especially when she helped me with...my situation." Her fist curled up into a fist and she could faintly feel her nails digging in. The action didn't go unnoticed by the two and gave her a small smile.

Only the soft patter of the rain was left between them as they did a small conversation. As the rain nearly cleared, both women were wiping their tears with handkerchiefs and were ready to depart when the night was about to fall.

"Mary," Maria turned back as she was about to go and faced a gentle smiling of Mrs Lanés, "remember that you can always stand, even if no one is there for you."

Maria paused in her tracks and gave her a weak smile. With a wave, she bid goodbye to the couple and went on her way.

The rain had cleared, revealing the ashy-blue sky. With a helpless sigh, Mrs Lanés turned towards her husband, "I do hope that she will be alright, the poor girl."

"She'll do fine, my dear. She did have our little Beth as her one and only friend." Mrs Lanes could only agree as Mr Lanés helped her up into the car. The two prepared to leave but was caught off-guard by a sudden notification.

As the screen lit up, they couldn't hide their smiles and laughed helplessly. "That sly girl."
_______________________________________

📣 𝐀 𝐛𝐚𝐧𝐤 𝐚𝐜𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐨𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐫 ( 𝐋𝐚𝐧é𝐬 ).

📣 𝐅𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐬𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐛𝐲 ( 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐚 𝐋𝐞𝐧𝐚 𝐌𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐞ś ).

_______________________________________

【C O M P L E T E D  S I D E  M I S S I O N! 】

> Support Bethany's family

(AQQUIRED REWARDS) Skill package (x2)

_______________________________________

A/N  Hello my readers! Late update this week, yes I know!! So sorry!!
Cases increased in my country and school work and procrastination....

Yeah- Here's your everyday life of a lazy author. But bear with me! I'll be writing chapters in advance. And as always, have a good day / night!