[Arc 1.10]

Chris silently watched the video Maria showed to him. Although the quality was blurry, he managed to make out the moment Rose had pushed herself in the middle of her way, to the end of when people saw it was only an illusion.

The more he watched, the more he couldn't believe it.

It couldn't have been real.

"You're mistaken." He heard his own voice before he even realized it.

Chris quickly brought down the screen so he didn't have to watch anymore and stared straight into the other's calm pink pupils as he shielded Rose's body behind him.

"Maybe she was tripped and mistakened it for your doing," he felt as if her gaze was ridiculing him but only continued, "or it could've been a staged practice because she-"

But he was cut off by her cold reply, "A staged practice that was somehow unbeknownst to the student body and they just had to film it?"

He stayed quiet, slowly avoiding her gaze while Maria sneered inside more.

"If you dare tell me it was a prank, why would she know me when I've never seen her until recently?" She enunciated every word for him to hear; each word brought him further deeper into a dilemma.

"I'm disappointed in you, Chris." Her words rang like an echo in his ears, "You'd rather believe someone you could've known for a mere few years over a friend you've known since 5?"

He didn't reply to her question, which made her scoff, "And here I wanted your side of a story of Beth, hell...I shouldn't even be talking to you."

Alarmed, he looked up and only saw her back had turned on him, "Mary, I-"

"I guess the quote does stay true when you only have yourself to trust."

She turned around to face him with a pained expression, "I won't bother you anymore, Mr Ronan," and walked past the pair, "Live a good life with her."

Chris watched her departing back, not noticing the different expression on Rose's face. His eyes seemed to have become glassy as he remembered the nearly same scene a few days before.

"I sincerely hope your choice isn't one you'd regret, Chris."

The last words Bethany had left for him before she left through the gates in front of the whole student body, not aware of the terrible fate that laid beyond her a mere few days after.

'Had I...made a mistake?'

[ Ding! ML's guilt has risen to 25%! Keep up the good work, Host! ]

Maria merely smirked. For a starter world, it was way too easy.

She continued nearing the dorms and soon found a door which had her name and another student's on a plaque.

_______________________________________

[ MINI THEATER ]

Helena: ...why does my script look like I'm a disappointed mother to Chris??

Me: I don't know what you're talking 'bout 🤠✨

Helena: ...This just ain't it. 🚪🚶‍♀️

_______________________________________

Don't forget to vote and comment readers~ ✨✨✨