Chapter ten

***

And I will take you in my arms And
hold you right where you belong Til'
the day my life is through This I
promise you This I promise you

*N'SYNC - This I promises you*

***

Bradley's POV

What the hell did just happen? I feel myself lying on the ground, covered in dust.
F*ck, flashbacks are running through my mind. Flashbacks of war. I can hear screamings around me.
I cover my ears with my hands and writh myself.
After what feels like an eternity I feel a hand on my shoulder and someone calling my name.
"Mr. Davis..." I feel someone is shaking my shoulder.
"Mr. Davis, are you ok?" It's a female voice.
I slowly open my eyes and see Dr. Oldman leaning above me. "Mr. Davis?"
With that words I'm back in the here and now. I start standing up, but Dr. Oldman pushes me down again.
"Does anything hurt?" she asks.
I shake my head.
"You sure you can get up?"
"Yes." She lets me go and I get up, I look around, it seems like everyone is here and unhurt, everyone except...
"EMILY?" I scream, but Dr. Oldman speaks up: "Mr. Davis, she is not here, can you tell me what happend?"
I run to the place where the entrance of the cave was. Yes, was, now there are only rocks, but no entry.
"F*****ck!!" I'm screaming! "She is still in there..."
"Seems like, yes, now tell me what happend?" Dr. Oldman replies.
I take a deep breath before explaining what I remember: "I waited for her at the exit while the cave shaking got heavier, she reached me, but then pushed me out of the way,and I found myself on the ground."
"Seems like she saved your life, a second longer at the exit and your body would have been buried under the rocks."
"But she is still in there." I'm shouting
Her students are sitting on the ground, the girls crying while the boys try to comfort them.
"I need to find a way in there." I tell.
"Mr. Davis.." but I already started climbing the fallen rocks.
"BRADLEY!! You need to stop!! Now!!!" Dr. Oldman yells.
"But we need to help her." I'm still standing on one of the rocks.
"We will help her, but you climbing there is not helping. Especially as long as we don't know how solid this whole thing is. If it's not solid enough you bring more rocks to fall and when she is laying on the floor..." She stops talking and I immediately jump down. I let myself down on the ground, my head falling into my palms and I can feel my eyes swell.
She touches my shoulder: "It's going to be ok, she is tough!"
" I know, but when she is under the rocks..."
"No, we don't think that way ok? Think positive!!!"
"I try..." I wipe away the tears in my eyes. This isn't happening, this can't be
real! I told her it would be dangerous... but that's not important now. I need to think clearly. I clear my throat and grab my phone. First I wanted to call the fire department but then...
"I try to call her." I shout out
"That's a good idea. The firemen are on their way already."
I dial her number
*The person you have called is temporarily not available!* The mobile on my ear I shake my
head in Dr. Oldmans direction.
I can hear one of her students speaking: "That's our fault right? We shouldn't have been up there. That was has made the cave crashed."
"No," I say in their direction, " it's not your fault, she wanted you to go up there, if it's someone's fault, it's mine."
"Mr. Davis, with all respect," Dr. Oldman says, " this is bullshit."
I turn to Dr. Oldman and raise my eyebrows.
"It's nobody's fault." she goes on.
"But I told her not to go in there, and if she has to, I go with her."
"But you were with her..."
"And yet she is still in there, I should have grabbed her arm and pulled her with me or at least not let her push me outside." I drive through my hair with both hands.
"Sometimes there is nothing we can do..." Dr. Oldman answers. laying her hand on my shoulder.

I can hear the sirens coming nearer and just seconds later the firemen are standing around us. One of my cameramen is explaining what happened. They start with their work. They try to get a picture of what they are able to do or if they have to stabilize the stones before anything. I start walking up and down. I can't just sit there. Dr. Oldman told the students to go to their hostel, she will inform them when something happens.
My crew informs our bosses of what happened and after that they head back to the caravans. They can't do anything.
Then Dr. Oldman turns to me: "Mr. Davis, if you want to get some rest..."
"Only over my dead body... I will go nowhere..."
"Ok, I just thought..."
"Thanks, but no... I just got her back and I'm not going to lose her now!" Again tears rise up in my eyes and Dr. Oldman embraces me, stroking my back.
"We are not going to lose her, she is strong and tough, no matter what happens in there, she will make it."
Then a Fireman approaches us: "I'm sorry to interrupt, but I wanna tell you what we are going to do."
We face the fireman, eager to hear what he has to say.
"First we use the fire ladder to see if we can move some rocks from above, so there is no more weight on the stone."
We nod.
"Ok, if we are able to remove some rocks, we hope to get a hole, that is big enough, so that one of us is able to go down, on a rope, so we can see if Ms...."
"Dr. Adams..."
"If Dr. Adams is healthy and if not we can give her first aid."
"Can I go down there?" I ask after he finished.
"I'm sorry sir, I know you are worried, but I don't want to put more people in danger."
I nod, I don't want to but I understand, he is just doing his job.
"Ok, I will keep you updated."
"Thank you Sir!," Tiffany says and then turns to me, "Mr. Davis?"
"Please, just Bradley."
"Fine, Bradley I'm Tiffany, " she goes on, "Bradley, I'm going to get us some coffee ok?"
"Yes, thank you."
She walks towards the caravans and I sit down, leaning my head at the stone behind me and send a prayer away. Everything I want is, her to be ok. I feel so helpless, just sitting here and can't do anything.
I close my eyes, leaning my head on the cold stone behind me.
I think of our time together, 5 years ago. The first time I recognized her. Her eyes, her beautiful smile. The way she moved on the dance floor. All I could ever do was stare. She totally lost herself in the music.I snap out of my thoughts, when I smell some coffee. Tiffany hands me a cup and sits beside me.
"Thank you." I say, taking the cup from her hands.
" She is still into you, you know?" Tiffany says out of the blue.
I face her: "Uhm, yeah, I guess..."
"No, I mean, she was it all the time. She never let you get out of her head."
I nod, saying: "Same here." and I point at my head.
"She told me a little about your relationship, and she is just afraid. I know you two spend the weekend together, but she is so full of doubts."
"I already thought so, but thank you for telling me. I'll try to do anything to push these doubts away."
"That's good." She claps my hand slightly, just like a mother would do.