LXIV

"You know, when I met Yeonjun-hyung I didn't know we had met before."

"What?"

"Oh, you don't know how Junnie-hyung and I became friends, right?"

"No Hyung, you guys were friends before school but I didn't know you guys were childhood friends too. I thought you guys came from the same school or something."

"Oh, actually... I just met Yeonjun-hyung one day on the street during the holidays right before school started last spring, then we began hanging out and became friends."

"Wow."

"What?"

"Its just- I didn't imagine you'd be the type to trust and befriend random people you meet on the street, Hyung."

"I'm not. But I don't know... with Yeonjun-hyung... we just became friends from then and hung out until school started."

"Did you guys plan to go to the same school?"

"No."

"No? Wow! What a cool coincidence."

"Exactly!! It's so weird..."

Kai looked at Soobin. The elder looked genuinely worked up and Kai didn't like to see the elder look so confused and upset.

"But it's a good thing, isn't it, Hyung? I mean, you and Jun-hyung get along so well. School is fun when you've got good friends like Jun-hyung."

"But don't you think the coincidence is a bit..."

"A bit?"

"I don't know... too good to be true..?"

"Uh... so you think Jun-hyung followed you here?"

Soobin blinked, "Oh yeah, why didn't I think of that? Of course Junnie-hyung followed me to Ever's High!"

"Yeah, probably enrolled after hearing you say you were going to go here."

"I didn't tell him though? Like, I don't remember doing that..?"

"It probably slipped out during some conversation, Hyung. Knowing the kind of nerd you are, you were probably gushing about it," Kai chuckled.

"Hey! I'm not a nerd!"

"Right. Sorry, I'm the nerd, the bunny nerd who lives in tiny and looks up to people shorter than him," Kai did a bunny impression, making ears with his fingers and scrunching his nose.

"Hey, I don't do that!" Soobin defended, though laughing.

Kai laughed along, "Sure."

"So do you think it's weird?"

Kai stopped laughing and face a scrutinizing look to the older, "No?"

"Why not?" Soobin knew he wasn't being the most reasonable but also didn't understand why the younger wouldn't agree with him.

"There's nothing weird about going to the same school, Hyung. St. Ever's High has a good rep, a lot of kids try to get in here, of course he did too."

Soobin paused and looked at the younger as the younger let his eyes linger on the picture. Soobin wondered if he should tell the younger about what his mother had said the night before. Surely that would make the younger agree on the fact that something was definitely off about Yeonjun?

Soobin took a deep breath and was about to begin when Kai suddenly excitedly spoke up, "Hyung, what are these stacks of boxes? Can I look inside?"

Soobin sighed before smiling and answering, "Sure!"

"Oh, are they presents?"

Soobin looked at the way the younger was excited and decided that the solemn news of the boy-in-the-picture's supposed death would have to wait.

Soobin explained the presents situation, briefly talking about his relationship with his family while the younger gave a sympathetic smile and a pat on the back.

"Hey, don't look at me like that. It's not that bad anymore. We're trying to fix our relationship with eachother these days."

"I'm so happy for you, Hyung. I wish I could've been there for you from before, I wish I had met you sooner," Kai smiled.

Soobin returned the smile, feeling warmth spread in his heart, "That's alright, Kai. You being here for me now and the fact that we could be friends now is more than enough for me."

"Aw, Hyung," Kai suddenly engulfed the older into a tight hug, Soobin too wound his arms around the younger and patted the younger's back.

"Thank you for being friends with me, Kai."

"Oh c'mon you dunce, you don't have to thank me for that!"

Kai chuckled at the older and older felt the ends of his lips tug upwards too, there was something contagious about the younger's happiness.

"Oh oh Hyung!" Kai pushed the older away from the hug and looked at the older's face with sparks in his eyes.

"Yeah?"

"When's your birthday then?"

"December fifth."

"Oh alright!" Kai winked.

Soobin saw the way the younger looked as if he was plotting something and asked, "What about it then?"

"It's coming!"

"Yeah, so?"

"I'm going to make it a special happy happy birthday for you!"

"Oh, you don't have to-"

"Hyung, I want to. Not to mention, it's what you deserve."

Soobin smiled warmly as Kai admired the older's smile. Though Kai had already accepted the fact that it was Yeonjun that the older liked, he told himself that he'd do things for the older anyway, because it made him happy to see Soobin happy.