LIII

"Soobin, dear. Wake up, c'mon."

Soobin opened his eyes to see his mum hovering over him.

"M-Mum?"

"Good Morning, your friend left these for you," his mum gestured to a cup of iced coffee and a small paper bag on his desk.

"Wait, what?"

"You've been studying hard for exams and losing sleep, haven't you?"

"Uh...how'd you know...?"

Soobin's mum smiled a small, sad smile.

"You've grown a lot, haven't you? My little baby, want to give mum a hug?"

Soobin blinked, confused and awkwardly patted his mum's back as she wrapped her arms around him.

"Mum will go get herself a drink too. Do you want to have breakfast together, today?"

Soobin just stared.

"It's alright if you don't want to-"

"No, no. I'd loved to," Soobin smiled softly.

"Alright then, mum will be right back, okay?" The smile was back on her face as she got up.

As soon as Soobin's mum was out of the door, Soobin hurriedly rushed to the mirror, fixing his hair and checking his face.

"Oh God, look at those dark circle," Soobin commented and rushed to the bathroom to quickly wash his face and get some concealer on.

Soobin quickly changed out of his wrinkled pajamas and into a fresh strawberry pink shirt and black shorts. 

Soobin stood in front of the mirror and looked at himself. Soobin realized he had a small smile on his face, looking at his own smile, he grinned. 

"How long as it been since mum's shown interest in me like this, I wonder if something happened," Soobin thought to himself as he continued messing with his hair, checking to see if his bangs were alright.

Suddenly, there was a knock on his door, "Soobs?"

Soobin opened the door, "Hey mum."

"Hello," his mum smiled as she entered the room and sat on her son's bed.

Soobin took the coffee sitting on his desk and sat on his chair.

Soobin's mum watched him take a sip of his drink, "You've grown so well, my baby."

Soobin was taken by surprise and awkwardly replied, "Thank you."

"I miss you so much, do you know that?"

Soobin awkwardly smiled.

"Of course you don't know. Mum hasn't been doing the best job at being a mum to you, even mum knows that."

Soobin bit his lip, he didn't want to agree but he couldn't disagree either. He peered at her face curiously and thought he saw teary eyes, his heart felt heavy.

Soobin's mum took a sip of her tea, "Did you do well on the exams?"

"Yes."

"You've always been so good at studying, I'm proud of you."

"Thank you."

"When the boy who brought you that coffee told me that he thinks I've raised you well, I realized what a failure of a mother I've been to you."

There were now tears threatening to escape from her eyes and it broke Soobin's heart to see his own mother look so heartbroken.

"No, it's not like..."

"We haven't even talked like this in forever."

Soobin hung his head, he knew his mother was correct but it hurt him to see her so torn about it.

An awkward tension was hung in the air as Soobin and his mum silently sipped their drinks, Soobin only looking at the coffee in his hand while his mum watched his fidgeting feet and the way he was biting his lip anxiously.

"Do you miss mum, Binnie?"

At this, a tear rolled down Soobin's face.

"Of-Of Course I do."

"Maybe it's time for us to fix our relationship, would you like that?" His mum stepped towards him and held his hand, looking at him with hopeful eyes though tinged with a bit of sadness.

"I... I'd love that, mum," Soobin was crying now.

His mum pulled him into a hug.

"Mum's sorry about being so distant, mum will do her best from now on," Soobin's mum whispered to him as she rubbed his back.

Soobin only nodded as more tears flowed down his face.

"Are you happy in this school?"

Soobin nodded, still in the hug but no longer crying.

Soobin's mum slowly pushed his body away and put her hands on the his shoulders, "You've grown into such a handsome young man."

Soobin shyly smiled.

"They must like you at school, you've grown into such a good boy."

Soobin smiled. He had friends now, friends who liked him.

"Is school fun?"

"Yeah," Soobin softly answered.

"Who was the boy from this morning? One of your friends, I assume."

"Yeonjun-hyung?"

"Is it? He had blue hair and was really sweet."

"Yeah, that's Yeonjun-hyung."

Soobin's mum noticed the light blush on her son's face and the way his smile was suddenly brighter.

"Is school fun with him?"

"Yeah."

"I'm glad you found such a good friend."