XLIV

"Leaving? Hyung, are you going somewhere? Going away...?" Kai asked in a panic.

"Leaving? I'm not leaving? Did I say leaving? I just meant like, if one day I'd have to be gone or something, you know," Yeonjun rambled, internally cursing himself for almost revealing his secret.

"Oh... alright," Kai was unconvinced and stared at the older, feeling suspicious. Kai looked at Yeonjun, scanning him as if to detect anything that might come off as dodgy.

"Do you need to go to the infirmary too? Are you alright? Not hurt?" Yeonjun spoke quickly, aware of the younger's eyes and anxious that the younger would figure him out.

"Uh, oh yeah, I scrapped my elbow when I fell, let's get a bandaid for it," Kai replied, finding the older's nervousness suspicious too.

"Yeah, alright let's go," Yeonjun said, breaking eye contact as he took Kai's bag that had been left on some random desk.

When Kai didn't make an effort to move and only continued watching the older, Yeonjun took ahold of the younger's wrist and dragged him along, "Let's go and get you treated before it gets worse, yeah? Let's go."

Kai let himself be dragged out of the class by the older but couldn't shake of the suspicion. Kai had seen the way Yeonjun had panicked when he had been asked if we was going away. Kai decided he'd talk to the others about it later.

When Kai and Yeonjun reached the infirmary, they saw Soobin laying down on the bed, Beomgyu holding an icebox to the older's face as the older groaned.

When Yeonjun saw the big blue spot on Soobin's face, he immediately dropped Kai's arm and headed to Soobin.

Taehyun has been rummaging around the nurse's cupboard for an ointment or some medicine to use when he saw Yeonjun rush to Soobin, Taehyun immediately went to them, blocking Yeonjun's way.

"Tae, is Soobin alright? Move, lemme see," Yeonjun said to him, not even lifting his gaze off of Soobin who had suddenly sat up and turned away.

"Hyung, I think Soobin-hyung needs some rest. Time to calm down on his own," Taehyun tried to make excuses.

"No, wait. Let me see his wound just once-"

"NO!" Beomgyu suddenly stood up, shouting.

"Wait, let me do that for him. C'mon Tae, you're blocking my way. Move," Yeonjun persisted, trying to push Taehyun away.

Taehyun stood his ground and Beomgyu came to them, leaving the icebox with Soobin.

"I think we should all get out and leave Soobin-hyung to rest on his own," Beomgyu said, trying to sound cheerful but rational.

"No but-" Yeonjun started.

"Just let Yeonjun-hyung talk to Soobin-hyung once, guys," Kai said, knowing how worried Yeonjun was.

Taehyun and Beomgyu shifted their gaze to Kai, trying to tell their friend with their eyes that he wasn't helping.

"Yeonjun-hyung has been really worried so-"

Beomgyu cut Kai off, "Kai, we're all worried, okay? But c'mon Soobin-hyung must be sick of all of us hanging around him and disturbing him when he should be resting."

"Yeah, Soobin-hyung is feeling really shaken up and overwhelmed, let's just leave him be," Taehyun backed Beomgyu up.

"You guys can go, I'll stay with Binnie and take care of him," Yeonjun insisted, feeling sick with worry.

Kai watched Yeonjun's desperateness and felt sympathetic. He wondered why his two best friends were being so mean towards the older.

"Guys c'mon let hyung stay, the three of us should go," Kai said.

"You don't want to stay?" Beomgyu asked,
surprised.

"I mean, I'm worried too but I understand if Soobin-hyung is tired and overwhelmed."

Beomgyu and Taehyun exchanged glances, looking at Kai, wondering if the younger was alright.

"If you're worried, you can stay. Yeonjun-hyung, Tae and me will leave Soobin-hyung in your hands," Beomgyu said, taking Yeonjun's hand and trying to lead him out.

Yeonjun shook off Beomgyu's grip, "Why can't I stay?"

"Yeonjun-hyung," Soobin called out. Everyone turned to Soobin who still had his back turned to them.

"Y-Yes, Binnie?"

"Can you leave, hyung?"

"But I want to stay with you and help you with your thing..."

"Thing...?"

"The bruise."

Soobin's heart stopped at the word... Had Yeonjun managed to see the bruise...?

"I don't have a bruise."

"But I saw-"

"Hyung, you saw nothing. I'm just tired maybe you all should leave right now. I think I'm going to sleep."

"You don't have a bruise...?"

"Why would I have a bruise, hyung?"

"Can I see your face once?"

"No."

The rest of the boys just silently watched as the exchange took place. Beomgyu and Taehyun felt sympathetic towards the two elders but didn't know how to help, Kai grew angry and confused.

"Yeonjun-hyung, let's go," Beomgyu reached for Yeonjun's arm and softly gripped the older's wrist.

"Yeah, Soobin-hyung is just tired. He should be fine after a nap," Taehyun added, putting a hand on the older's shoulder.

"Why are you guys doing this? Can't you see how worried Yeonjun-hyung is?" Kai asked angrily to his two friends.

"Kai, not here. Soobin-hyung is getting disturbed because of us," Taehyun softly said.

"Guys, leave. I'll stay with Binnie," Yeonjun tried again, his mind riddled with confusion and his stomach sinking with worry.

"You leave too, Yeonjun-hyung. If you don't leave now, I'm-I'm never talk-talking to you again," Soobin said, trying to sound as stoic as possible.

"Binnie, I-"

"Just leave, please."

Yeonjun felt his eyes tear up. Kai scrunched up his face in confusion, wondering what was up with his two hyungs. Taehyun and Beomgyu slowly led Yeonjun out, Kai followed, slowly closing the door.

After Kai closed the door, he stood there for a second, confused and wondering what had happened. While Kai stood there, he heard Soobin cry inside the room, Kai felt his heart wrench up. Was it really Yeonjun who had hurt Soobin so much? Would he himself had been able to keep the older happier? As these questions riddled his mind, Kai followed his three friends as they went to the cafeteria.