Chapter Ten: Beyond the Desert

Começar do início

The golden aircraft in front of you glimmered from the pale light. It had emerald wings that captivated your eyes and despite the unpleasant feeling that pooled around your chest, you couldn't help but be in awe of this creation. 

Enkidu gave a nod and bowed before he got himself on the aircraft. He held his hand out for you to hold on to but being yourself, you declined. Instead, Ajamu held you by your waist and lifted you up with ease, placing you on top of the aircraft. You sat on your knees at the edge.

"Thank you..." you whispered. It hurt knowing this will be your final chance to say that. "...for your service and for everything." He gave you a smile, one weak and forced to be genuine in return before he took several steps back.

The aircraft then began to move. It levitated a few meters high. You held to the edge tightly not knowing what is to happen next. You peeked down from the edge, seeing that the queen and the others had walked out into the platform, looking up at you.

All of a sudden, the aircraft's emerald wings that wass stretched sidewards retracted back, getting ready to move. "I wouldn't stay too close to the edge if I were you," was the last thing you heard before you zoomed.

You gasped at the sudden motion and your grip on the edge tightened a hundred times more as you held on for dear life. You were flying at a fast rate, the air cold upon your skin as your hair flew in all directions. Your eyes were closed and you were frozen stiff on the spot. 

You felt the aircraft shift upwards, flying at a greater altitude as your heart beat rapidly in your chest. Your hands were cold and tears formed at the corner of your eyes. Enkidu glanced at you, his feet walked towards you in ease, having used to riding Vimana.

The moment you thought you'd be going high enough to leave this world, the aircraft came to a stop. You didn't dare move as your body had given up to the fear. You once dreamed of flying but seeing that it felt this horrible, you swear you wouldn't want to do this again.

"It's okay," Enkidu said. "Like hell I'd trust you,"  you thought. "I think I'm gonna die right here before I even reach Uruk."

"Which is fine in some way so I wouldn't have to meet your imprudent king," you added.

"You can open your eyes now," he said. His voice now spoke of a tone so gentle and calming, it almost felt like he was incapable of committing crimes. Slowly, you opened one eye and then the other. You gasped at the view in front of you.

Clouds. There were clouds. You swear clouds are supposed to be above but now, they're below you. You gulped, both astonished and don't know what to do. You couldn't feel your legs underneath you as if they weren't there at all.

Enkidu offered you his hand. Inside, you were debating whether or not to swallow your pride and take it. The toughness and strength has left both your heart and body. It is now that you realize how fragile of a human you are. 

Seeing your hesitation, Enkidu spoke. "If you wouldn't stand there, you'd more likely fall," he said. "Of course, I wouldn't't let that happen. It is my duty to keep you safe and bring you to Uruk alive."

"Then in the first place, you shouldn't have flown this thing at the speed of thought," you retorted in your mind. You sometimes find your stubbornness crazy, acting up at a time like this. "That is also what I promised queen Nefera," your eyes widened at the mention of her name as if it was enough to pull yourself back together to reality.

You took a deep breath and reached your trembling hand out to grab his. You didn't even need to use up all your strength to stand. Enkidu's free hand moved to your other arm, holding you firmly before he stood, taking you with him. He stood behind you, supporting your figure.