Chapter Forty-Two: Catalyst for Change

"You're pregnant!" 

Those were the first words you heard upon regaining your consciousness. You were still adjusting your eyes to the blinding light as the great king's defeaning enthusiasm pulled you awake.

"His highest majesty wears his heart on his sleeves, doesn't he?" You thought as you struggled to sit up.

You sat there, unmoving, as you let the facts sink into your system. Ever since that night, you've already started mentally preparing yourself for the day you finally confirmed that you are carrying the arrogant king's child.

The chances weren't always a hundred percent but with the way he ensured you bear his child, you knew this day would eventually come. 

The smile on the king's face dropped ever so slowly as he saw you weighing your emotions out—thinking if it should be something you should be glad for or not.

Of course, the great king was happy. To say he is, is an understatement in its own way. His dreams of having a grandchild were slowly coming to a reality. Oh, how he wished Ninsun could've been with him at that moment.

In his mind, he made sure that he would be able to offer enough praises and prayers to the goddess of fertility, Ishtar, for having had granted you a child he can call his grandchild.

At his age, he no longer cared for riches and treasures nor voyages and adventures. The time of his prime has long passed. He only wanted to spend his remaining days with his family—his son, you, and the child you'll soon give birth to.

But he didn't want to be insensitive to what you were currently feeling. After all, that child was forced upon you—everything was. It was one thing that bothered him from time to time and made him feel bad.

Had he a daughter who was about to face the same fate as you, he would've done everything in his power to prevent it even if it meant war.

That's why to compensate for the actions of his son, he does his best to be the father figure you never had.

For a moment, he excused himself. He knew you needed space to think over everything that's been happening. With a gentle tap on your shoulder, he stood and left the room.

With the turmoil of emotions running rampant inside you, you didn't know which one to feel. You thought that maybe because of everything that's been happening, you started feeling numb and you know full well that numb is worse than lonely.

But underneath all those unpleasant feelings, deep within you, you felt the love for the unborn baby that nests inside of your womb.

You have always been fond of children, even remembering the times you told Nefera you wished for a niece. Now that you think of it, isn't it funny? In the end, it was you who's giving Nefera one.

There are many other distressing things you can think of doing. You can scream at the top of your lungs or throw tantrums because of how fate has been treating you lately. Worst of all, you could even end everything there and then.

But you won't.

You were a descendant of Chira, the goddess of life, and it only makes more sense because of the fact that you're choosing to be kind. Your baby deserved all the good things in the world. You were going to raise him to become someone who can surpass his parents. Above all, to become someone who's merciful and kind.

You may not love Gilgamesh but that doesn't mean you should deny your child of it. This was part of the process, a variable the universe needed to align to take you to where you should be.