🌹 soraya33 🌹

[ 1:20 PM ]

i place the last bite of my egg sandwich into my mouth as dom, apple and i are sat on the curb in front of a closed down strip mall.

it's like a ghost town. fewer and fewer people are coming out. no one's occupying those frequent places anymore. it's all... empty. and weird.

apple devours her three stacks of strawberry pancakes as best as she can and dom is nearly done with his chicken and waffles.

"we can' be so o'en on da steet. we nee whee's an fas!" dom states, mouth full of chicken.

"how about finish the food in your mouth before speaking? but i agree. we need wheels."

"i'm telling you, i can hit up my dude. see if he's still alive," he says after swallowing, "he can help us out."

"no."

"well we can't hitchhike anymore," he states. "so we're going to need-"

"we can search the parking lot and find a car," i tell him.

"yeah? you miraculously know how to hot wire a car?"

"no, but i'm not the one with energy manipulation."

"right, but the car isn't exuding energy. where am i going to get the energy to start the car?" he asks.

"isn't that the entire point of energy manipulation? you're manipulating energy. energy is all around you. i'd slap you but i don't want to show apple domestic violence."

i roll my eyes.

"well excuse me for not knowing how to control something i've never had before," he retorts.

"what's energy mutant... whatever raya said!" apple asks.

"and theirs no manual to this shit," he curses.

"energy manipulation apple, is where he can alter any thing that uses energy. there's many types of energy. the main two: kinetic and potential-"

"ki- what? potential?"

"she's only seven," dom chuckles.

"moral of the story, if this power is what i think it is, then you're a lot stronger than you give yourself credit. dom made porch lights flicker and turn a tv off without being anywhere near it," i tell her.

"cool!" she exclaims, staring at dominic with stars in. her eyes. "is that true? did you do all of that?"

dom nods, proud.

"i even bursted one of my lights at my house."

"and i bet he can pull a few strings with an electric car or we could get lucky with an unlocked vehicle," i explain to her.

"can you not teach her those things?" he objects.

"better now dominic. it's gonna be the rule of the new world."

"what new world?"

"the death toll isn't easing. an entire new world is about to be born. either way, apple's going to be the most advanced out of her loser classmates."

"this is going to be morbid, but it's possible they aren't alive."

"way to be PG," i joke, kicking his shoe softly with mine.

i head to a trash can that's a few feet away. apple throws her unfinished plate away and no soon after, dominic does as well.

we walk to the nearest parking lot. i scope out the options we can choose from, which aren't many.

two small silver and red cars, a green mom van, and a white delivery van.

"process of elimination?" dom asks.

"go for it."

"the two cars are tempting but also cliche. the mom van can throw them off but it's slow. the delivery van, not much better, but it's probably slightly faster than the mom van," he lists off.

"so, creepy delivery van?"

"creepy delivery van," he nods and we make our way toward it.

"i'll check the sliding door. you check the front," i plan.

when we get closer to the van, we split up. dom and apple walk around the van to the drivers door. i head straight for the side door and get in position.

wait on my cue.

all on you mama.

one...

i inch my hand slowly toward the handle, hoping theirs no alarm.

two...

right as my fingertips graze the handle, the door slides open quick and i'm face to face with a pretty fit caucasian guy with long dark brown hair, who looks around our age.

he's got a jawline for days, pretty green with hazel-center pair of eyes, really long eyelashes, and bushy dark eyebrows.

he reminds me of an LA guy.

"what the hell do you think you're doing?" he questions, a deep voice bellowing out.

"we were gonna borrow your van?"