Limits

Voicemails. Even more voicemails. Tons of voicemails. That's what Kate was left with every single time she had attempted to reach out to Dave. Nothing seemed to be going her way. While stuck trying to figure why Anthony had invited Dave to the concert in the first place, along with her unexplainable feelings for John she didn't know what to think. Everything seemed wrong. Confusing almost. She currently sat out on the deck of her apartment, cellphone in hand while recalling her intriguing interaction with John.

His hand that briefly rested around her neck, moments before he tore the single accessory that represented Daves love. She didn't wince, she stared at John with widened eyes before announcing she would confront her now labeled ex. It was like a spell was placed upon her. All restrictions lifted from one yank, truth spilling out the front of her lips. The tension between the two of them was thick after she spoke, looking up into his eyes she could see a glint. A look of relief-

"Hey! You're gonna catch flies with that mouth open!" A voice called to her, making Kate jump back to reality. She furrowed her brows before turning in all directions only to see no one. Hearing a loud ahem, she peered over the balcony to see John standing below with his hands placed upon his hips.

"Oh. Hey John. What's up?"

"What's up? I've been ringing your doorbell for the past thirty minutes. I saw your car parked out front so I assumed you were still here. Unless you got kidnapped...but that's not the point! Are you going to unlock the door or are we just going to talk rapunzel style?"

"I don't know. I kinda like looking down on you when I speak. Makes me feel powerful." She joked only to see him scoff in return leaving her to sigh, "I'll be there in a minute."

The two sat across from each other on her bed, discussing previous events.

"Nothing? He still hasn't called you back? What an ass. Just leave a voicemail and get it done with." John asked while playing with her sheets.

"What? No! I want to do this right. If I'm going to confront a cheater. I would rather do it when he's listening live."

"Why not face to face?"

"I would do that...But I don't know where he lives."

"Wait a minute. So you don't know where your so called 'soulmate' even lives? You were perfectly ok with that the entire time? Not once you were to think what his house looked like?"

"John. Stop being arrogant. In the moment that didn't seem important. And he's not my soulmate. He's a cheater. Why are you even here if you just came to mock me-"

"Alright, alright! Fine, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings."

"Thank you." She shakily sighed before laying back onto the bed. The two sat there in silence waiting for the phone to ring. She tried to suppress what she was thinking but she couldn't hide it. Images of the kiss they shared a while back flashed her memory. She shivered before making eye contact with him, blushing while looking away. He played with the strands of his hair, locking eyes onto the phone. Waiting for something, anything. He didn't want to leave Kate by herself. He could never forgive himself. Kate began to grow tired as the silence continued on. Her eyes began to droop as yawns escaped from her lips.

"Hey! This isn't bedtime! You have a man to break up with! Hey don't fall asleep-" John began to reason but it was too late. She was already asleep. Her body lay sprawled across the mattress, barely leaving room for him. He didn't bother to wake her. Instead he walked around the bedroom taking in small details. Picking up a frame he studied a picture of her and her father, both sharing a similar smile. Making his way over to the record player he rummaged through vinyls, trying to find something of his taste to pass the time. When met with an old jazz recording he mumbled, "You have good taste," before playing the record. The music softly filled the room, expressing the warm tones of saxophones and piano. Sitting next to her head, John leaned down while brushing the hair out of her face. Her lips barely parted, and her breathing was soft as her chest rose. Leaning down he placed a quick kiss upon her forehead, smiling to himself. Quickly standing up he wandered around the room for a bit more before getting tired himself.

"John....John!" Kate snapped while shaking the sleeping guitarist. He quickly arose to the sound of her voice, along with the sound of the phone ringing. He froze before looking at her, phone in hand.

"Is it him?"

"Yeah." She replied while looking up at him, scared. She was afraid of confrontation. She didn't want to hurt Dave's feelings. She wanted to tell him how much a cheating dirtbag he was, but she couldn't.

"Well just answer it." John snapped back.

"I can't."

"What do you mean you can't?! Answer it before he hangs up! What am I here for?"

"I don't know. You answer it."

"Why me?! It's your boyfriend."

"John please." She mumbled. He sighed before grabbing the phone and holding it against her ear. The phone call was accepted. The ringing stopped. Her breathing hitched as he pinned her down onto the bed, one hand holding her down while the other held the phone to her ear.

"Talk." John whispered, not a care in the world at the position they were currently laying in.

"H-Hello? Dave?" Kate stuttered before clearing her throat.

"Kate? Hey! What's up cutie? I haven't heard from you in a while. Is everything alright?"

"I've called and left voicemails several times."

"Oh. I'm sorry I didn't see them, my phone must not be working. I want to ask if you wanted to get dinner-" The warmth of Johns breath releasing into her neck made her shiver before interrupting Dave,

"I know you're cheating on me."

Silence filled the other side of the phone. Tension began to form quickly and he stuttered, "What?! Don't say crap like that-"

"Stop. I've given you several chances. I saw a photo of you and your new lover. I'm happy for you both. I'm disgusted in myself that I actually fell in love with you."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize you piece of shit! You knew what you were doing, you're so lucky I'm doing this over the phone-" John quickly pulled the phone away before mumbling, "Bye" and pressing the end call button. He tossed the phone behind him while staring down at the heated ball of anger.

"Why did you do that?! I was telling him off!" Kate snapped, while raising her hands only for him to pin them back down to the mattress. She blushed while staring up into his eyes.

"I had to cut you off. It was getting me turned on." He joked before pressing his lips against hers. She slowly kissed back enjoying the feeling. His hand slowly began to travel its way underneath her shirt, but quickly retreated when she flinched. He rolled to the side and mumbled, "I'm sorry." John didn't want to pressure her into anything. Especially since she just broke up with Dave. She had to be feeling some type of grief.

"Thank you." Kate barely whispered as her hand brushed against his. Her chest pounded, the view of him hovering above her replaying over and over. His voice whispering, talk. She wanted to relive that moment forever.

Authors Note~
Hey everyone! I hope you all are staying safe and healthy :) I'm coming back from some writers block, and will continue to update this story ASAP!
Thanks for being so patient everyone! I appreciate it. See you in the next chapter!
~Rocknrollchic