Chapter 36

It was Thanksgiving. A holiday where American families gets together, say what they are thankful for and eat a ton of food without a care in the world. It's a holiday most people enjoy seeing as there is just different types of food everywhere and no one will judge you how much you eat it.

Every year for Thanksgiving the Sterling family would have a huge turkey, along with homemade mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, corn, cranberry sauce, rolls, sweet potatoes that had marshmallows on top, and homemade pies with whipped cream for dessert. The wishbone would be sat by the windowsill in the kitchen to dry out as Blake and her father would pull each end of it when it was ready as her mom would stand back with a smile on her face.

Blake was expecting to wake up and to smell food. To smell the turkey already cooking to be ready in time for dinner. What she didn't expect was to wake up to an empty house.

She went to the kitchen and no food was there. Her mom wasn't standing in the kitchen like she had every year preparing the food as her dad had the channel where the Macy's Day Parade would be on for when it started it.

She noticed a little note and a pang of hurt shot through her chest.

London invited me to her family's house for today, I'll be back late don't wait up. There's food in the fridge, happy thanksgiving.

She crumbled up the note and tossed it in the trash as she switched the tv on for the parade.

Blake curled herself up into a ball and wrapped a blanket tightly around her.

Her phone rang halfway through the parade and she answered it.

"Hey Blake! Happy Thanksgiving!" Chris said happily over the phone.

"Hi Chris, happy Thanksgiving to you too."

"What are your plans for today?" Chris asked her.

"Mom and I are having our own little dinner here, it won't be like it was but it's something" she lied.

She knew if she told him he would invite her to his house, but this was his family time. She did not want to intrude.

"That's good."

It was silent for a few moments before Blake breathed out heavily.

"I gotta go Chris, I'll call you some other time."

They bid their farewells and when the parade was over she walked into her dad's room.

"Hey dad" she said softly.

She sat down in front of his pictures and the room smelt like him. It always smelt like his cologne since they moved some of his stuff in there.

"Make sure mom is having a good Thanksgiving okay?"

She played with her rings and sniffled a little bit. It was particularly hard for her today. She knew it was going to suck every holiday but Blake did not expect her mother just to leave her here all alone.

"You should be here dad, you should be here with me and mom and we should be doing our tradition. It's not fair, this isn't fair."

Blake breathed in shakily before biting her lip. She just wanted her dad.

"I'm so pathetic" she sighed and ran her hand over her face. "I hope you have a great Thanksgiving dad, I love and miss you so much."

She got up and pecked a picture of her dad before leaving the room.

Blake changed into black jeans, with a dark blue hoodie. She put her leather jacket over it and put her converse on. Grabbing her board, her headphones and camera before she rushed out the door.

The teen girl had skated for hours, enjoying the cold wind blowing in her face as she took cool pictures. Her music was blasting in her earbuds as she jumped off the curb with her board.

When it reached around four she went into a fast food restaurant that was opened and looked at the empty place with hardly any workers. I guess the workers didn't have anyone to spend the holiday with either.

"What can I get for you?"

"The spicy chicken sandwich with no tomatoes and a large lemonade."

Blake paid for her meal and filled up her cup as she sat at an empty table. She played with her rings and stared off into space until her food was ready.

"Enjoy."

Blake ate with her music still playing in her earbuds. When she finished up her 'Thanksgiving day meal' she threw out her trash.

"Happy holidays" she said to the workers.

She began her journey back home as she observed the colorful leaves on the ground or still on the branches. Most of the trees were bare but she still loved the color the leaves gave everything.

Once she arrived, the house was still empty. She tossed her keys on the island and grabbed her board as she headed upstairs. She changed into shorts and a black hoodie as she began to finish writing a song.

Blake loved writing music, she knew she was good at it and she knew she was good at singing. She was practically done writing the song she was now finishing. She just needed an end to it.

She sang the song and smiled slightly as she scribbled down the ending of the song.

Blake: finished another song, ready to record whenever you're free

Blake sighed in relief and fell onto her bed as she stared at the ceiling. It was like that for a while, her staring off into space picturing all the Thanksgiving's that she had celebrated and could remember. She loved how her dad and her were inseparable. He was truly her best friend.

She rolled over to her side and clutched a pillow to her chest as she shut her eyes.

"I love you dad, happy Thanksgiving my angel."
———
12-6-20