Chapter Twenty-Nine

Selena March

I almost fell off my bed when the loud knock on my bedroom door startled me out of my sweet dreams.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid..." I muttered while glaring at my door as if it would instantly reveal the culprit disturbing me so early in the morning. It was only seven AM for crying out loud.

Wait a minute, Someone is knocking on my bedroom door!

I jumped out of my bed and rushed to the door. I opened it and sent a glare at the man standing by my door, his right hand raised to knock again.

"Well, it's about time. I was about to barge into your room." Darral said looking down at me.

"You broke into my house again?" I asked him as he walked passed me into my room and jumped on my bed. He leaned his head on his hands on the head board and smiled at me.

"Good morning to you too Selena." He said sounding chirpy. How could he be so happy as early as this? Wait, why was he here again?

"Good morning Darral." I said rolling my eyes at him. "Why did you break into my house?"

He waved his hand at me dismissively, sitting up in the process. "It's neither the first or the last time Selena. How about you just tell me what made you call me so early in the morning today?"

Oh, that's why he is here. Well, he was right about it not being the first or last time he was breaking into my house. It was as if he and Owen really enjoyed the idea of jumping in through windows or breaking my lock. Speaking of which...

"Are you going to replace the lock?"

"No need. I used a skeleton key Andrew was working on so your lock is safe."

I nodded and walked to my bed and sat at the edge of it, away from him. He gave me a questioning look and smiled teasingly.
"You know, I neither bite nor have an infectious disease."

I ignored his silly comment. Knowing Darral, he was probably cooking something in his mind.

"Owen told me to drop my case." I said. Darral didn't seem surprised to hear that. He just shrugged and leaned back on the headboard.

"Well, Thank goodness." He muttered under his breath making me frown at him.

"And what is that supposed to mean?"

"Don't get me wrong Selena, I just think that you dropping the case would be a good opportunity to get away from Asriel Parker. He is a dangerous man and it would be for the best if you stayed safe and away from him." Darral said.

When he noticed me glaring at him, he sat up and tried to re-explain himself. "I just think that it is better if you drop it and take up another case. That way, you can still be doing what you love doing but in a safer way." He tried to touch me but I stood up abruptly. I just couldn't believe what Darral just basically sang to me.

"I am a cop and so are you Darral, danger of any sort is basically in our job description. So drop this bullshit about me dropping the case just because it is 'dangerous'. I'm not buying it. " I spat angrily. "Now really, why do you really want me to drop this case?"

He was looking up at me, watching me intently. I could tell that he was battling on whether to tell me or not. "And why don't you want to drop it?" He whispered.

"Because I_" I stopped mid sentence, realising just there and then the actual reason I wanted to hold on to the case. Two stupid nouns.
                 Asriel Parker.
I wanted a reason to stick around Asriel. What if my resignation at Gracia Plena would be the end of my seeing him? What if he wouldn't care if I left? I wanted to be with him even if it meant that I would just be the pretty lady that helped him catch a killer and nothing else.
But no. There had to be a connection between us. I felt it when we kissed in the bathroom at the mansion and just a few hours ago at the diner. Instinctively, I raised my hand to my lips and let my fingers lightly touch them. Maybe if I kissed him again, I would clarify if what I was feeling was one sided.