Chapter 5 - The Star Festival

⊱ ────── {☽.⋅✿⋅.☽} ────── ⊰

Surprisingly, or not so surprisingly, their lives moved on swimmingly even after finding out Jin's original whereabouts. In fact, barely anything changed.

Well, aside from a few realizations.

To put it simply; Seokjin carried magic with him. And while Namjoon hadn't quite figured it out completely, it was clear that Jin possessed mystical powers to some extent.

Namjoon had asked him and Jin tried to explain it as best as he could. He said that, yes, everyone who lives on the moon has an essence of magic in them. But that magic itself is still difficult to describe. Even more so since Jin hasn't quite recovered all his memory.

Either way, Namjoon thinks of it as "moon magic".

His magic mostly manifested itself in subtle ways. Animals like little birds would listen to him as if he had a psychic connection with them. He moved with grace and beauty that made him look like a dancing painting, even when he's doing something as simple as washing dishes. The air around him was always different, like a swirling breeze that wasn't really there.

Namjoon once saw him chatting with a young tree in the garden, and it was as though the tree preened at his words.

And Jin does all of it with a kind of nonchalance, as if that magic's been with him his entire life. And maybe it has. Jin's from the moon, after all.

But aside from that, not much changed in their days.

⊱ ────── {☽.⋅✿⋅.☽} ────── ⊰

That morning, Namjoon was seated on the terrace with one of his grandfather's bonsai trees placed in front of him. Scattered all around him were an array of gardening tools, some books on plants, and a few kitchen utensils. He held a water sprayer in his hand, currently fixing a scrutinizing glare on the little tree in front of him. Though the bonsai, being an inanimate plant, did not respond.

Finally Namjoon leaned back with a defeated sigh. "Damn."

"What's wrong?" Jin asked, drifting to his side with a cup of warm milk.

"I think I messed up with this one," Namjoon confessed. He gestured his sprayer helplessly at the potted plant. "I think I cut too many branches. Or watered it too much. The leaves are going brown."

Seokjin hummed in thought, studying the bonsai himself. He put aside his cup, then moved to kneel next to Namjoon and put one hand on his shoulder.

Then, he extended his other hand to hover right above the plant. Seokjin closed his eyes. There was a shift in the air, and Namjoon gaped in astonishment as the bonsai began to heal before him. The brown wilted leaves mended back into a lush green. The barks grew strong and sturdy, its roots tightening back into the soil. In just a few short seconds, the plant flourished again.

Seokjin exhaled, putting down his hand. "There," he said gently, quietly out of breath. "Now it has a second chance."

"How did you..." Namjoon was saying before he stopped himself and shook his head. "Moon Magic," he muttered instead.

That's another thing. Jin's magic included healing powers, apparently. This was the second time Namjoon has seen him do it, the first time when he healed Namjoon's wound. Namjoon made a mental note to ask more about these powers later.

Seokjin giggled as he took his cup and stood up. "I'm pretty sure that's not the proper name for it."

"Then what should we call it?"