21 | go kart and go crazy

a/n omg, i hope i did their first date justice.

 quick recap from last chapter: addy went over to the nursing home to drop off ms finley's gift where she was unable to recognize her, calling out her dead husband's name once she saw the lavender flower. at the Christmas dinner, addy called Rome and agreed to go on a date with him. 

comment, vote, follow if you enjoyed this chapter--(also do it regardless because why not?)

#

"Ads, think I might have the wrong address here. Unless you're actually adopted and supposedly have three demonic siblings."

Laughing and going to my window, I pulled back the blinds, already knowing that his car wasn't going to be parked outside. "Nope, not adopted. I don't see your car outside; where are you?"

"Uh...22 Crescent Drive."

I stepped back from the window, pulling my jean jacket off my desk chair. "Crap, that's supposed to be 17 Crescent Drive. Must have been a typo when I sent it."

"Oh, I'll just drive up then."

"Nah, it's okay. It's only a couple minutes' walk from here. I'll come meet you there."

"Ads--"

"And when I get there, I want you to finally tell me where we're going." Ending the call, I tucked my phone into my pocket and headed downstairs. Louis Armstrong was playing softly in the living room, probably fueling Ma's work on the new menu she was curating.

Walking into the kitchen, Ma stood by the stove, stirring the pot. "Hey, Ma. Whatcha working on?"

"Well, since It's getting colder, and a lot of people are asking for more warm, comfort food. I decided to mess around with some soup recipes." She turned to me with a wooden ladle, and dutifully, I slurped the small bit of soup.

"It tastes good. Don't like the broccoli, though."

"Ha! Got it. Take out the vegetables because my teenage daughter hates anything that's not from McDonald's."

I kissed her on the cheek. "I'm glad you know me so well, Ma."

She dropped the ladle off in a bowl beside the pot and wiped her hands down her apron.

"Where you off to, all showered and dressed up on a Saturday. What's happening?"

I motioned down my denim overalls paired with a black crop top. "This ain't dressed up. I'm just going out to watch movies with Tamara. Should be back in a few hours."

"Y'all need anything? Nella's Kitchen coupons and flyers to hand out?"

"Nope. I think we're all good there. See you in a few?"

She pulled me in for a hug, planting a kiss on my cheek before pulling away. "Have fun!"

"I will," I told her, already turning around and leaving.

Outside, it was one of those days where the sun was playing hard to get, the wind wasn't really doing her thing, and the clouds dominated the sky. A few centimetres of fresh snow covered the ground, allowing me to cross the lawn smoothly. Fat snowflakes fell from the sky, decorating the faux fur of my hat and the ends of my braids as I started the short walk to where Rome was waiting.

Winter was the prettiest season, matched with all the best holidays. The sun glistening off the snow, undisturbed and gathered on the trees, made everything look aesthetically pleasing and served as the best background for every and all pictures. I cupped my hands and blew into them. Sucks that it was always cold for no reason, though.