15 | marlene and conner

a/n hello frens. it's been a while since I've updated. i didn't write like crazy like i promised because moving is actually a bitch...? who knew. I've also started working again (essential worker buddies) so unfortunately our twice a week update is gonna have to be cut down to once a week ( on wednesday) if i don't want to absolutely collapse with exhaustion. anyways, since the last time we've talked our family has grown---hello new follower buddies--and in the unlikely event has been added to a shit ton of reading lists---hello new readers--including one super important one on wattpad's profile showcasing black voices here on wattpad. the books were selected by the very lovely idrisgrey so y'all should definitely check out their work and in addition to the books on the list (Serpent's Daughter by TheresNo_Rush and Orion Project by KweenKlara are personal favourites but i could be biased because they're my ferns) anyways, enjoy this chapter and the next chapter will be on wednesday. sorry for the inconvenience mon love but life really hates when i try to have any semblance of control.

#

The familiar aroma of grease and bacon, saturated with the smell of freshly made coffee, that also clung unwaveringly to Ma's uniform and the interior of her bug welcomed me as I opened the diner door.

Customers were crowded, almost entirely, inside the diner in a good-natured mid-afternoon rush. The sound of conversations worked simultaneously with the clatter of utensils against ceramic plates to create a cacophony of earsplitting sounds.

"Would you like to put your bag in the backroom?" Ma asked me as she made her way effortlessly through the narrow aisle between the teal coloured booths that lined the wall and the teal barstools that lined down the counter.

"No. I have to meet up with Tamara later," I replied, hoping my voice carried over the sounds the overwhelmed the whole diner despite the small distance between us. I stopped abruptly, as a guest spun off the barstool, almost running into me. Apologizing extensively, I tried to avoid another collision with a different customer, as I moved quickly behind Ma. It'd been a hot minute since I worked the diner, and it was safe to say that my gracefulness had evaporated the second I turned in the teal apron.

"Marlene and Conner are supposed to meet us here a little over...15 minutes from now. So, if you want something quick to drink, ask your Aunt Yvonne or Nae," Ma said once we finally reached an empty booth at the very back of the diner. I slid down the worn leather seat, dragging my hand along the table and feeling the indentations I'd made into it when we still came--as a family-- to the diner regularly during its earlier days. Standing beside the booth, Ma leaned down, kissed my forehead and pulled me into a hug. "I have to finish up some paperwork in the back. Shouldn't take me too long, so you just finish up on your homework and work on your Advanced Functions. I know Hakeem has been helping you out, but you should also be helping yourself."

I nodded, trying--unsuccessfully--to pull myself out of the hug she'd pulled me into.

She drew back a little, looking down at me before pulling me into a firm hug again. "I love you so much, baby," she said into my hair. "And I want you to know that I'm not doing this to hurt you or to punish you." She withdrew from the hug again and lifted my chin up with her index finger. "You listening to me?"

"I'm listening, Ma."

"Good." She planted a final kiss on my forehead before heading to the small room in the back that served as storage, cold room, break room for the staff and her minuscule office.