11 | friday night parties

vote, comment, follow and all the fun stuff

#

"Tell me again why we're going out tonight instead of watching Jason Statham's gorgeous face on your Netflix while eating all the shitty food they claim is bad for you?"

I pulled back from my closet, giving up on the fruitless dig to find something partly cute to wear to Anne's party. Picking out my phone, which sat atop a pile of abandoned shoes, I took the call off the speaker and pressed the phone to my ear.

"Because," I told Tamara, who was on the other end of the call, "We deserve a night out. We've been working ourselves to the bone these past few days. You with your puffy Cinderella costume and studying for Bio and Chem, me with my essay business--"

"Helping people cheat is not a business--"

"Irrelevant to my point, which is that we need just one night to let loose and have fun." At the silence that met me, I added, "Also, Anne paid me like fifty bucks. Said something about wanting friends that's not also her brothers, and I don't wanna go alone."

Tamara clicked her tongue, and I heard the blinker clicking in the background just as a wave of bright, white lights flooded my room. "Was wondering what your true motives were. Well, I'm outside, and I want fifty percent of the cut if I'm giving up my Friday night for cheap bear and snotty white kids."

I scrambled to my feet. "Deal. Did you bring some extra clothes? Since it turns out that I'm truly inert. Fashion-wise."

I listened as she opened the door, closed a door, opened another door, gave a few grunts into the phone before closing the door again.

"Are you sure you want me to throw the bag up to you on the roof?" she asked as I clambered across my bed to open the window that led to the roof.

Outside, the night chill bit through the thin material of my pyjamas. Shivering and precariously holding onto my balance and my cell phone, I said, "Uh...yeah. You can't just walk in with a whole ass bag filled with clothes. Aunt Yvonne thinks we're going to study at your place with Hakeem." Tipping to the edge and thankful for the lack of strong winds tonight, I looked down and saw Tamara walk right to the point where the incline of the roof started. "And I love Aunt Yvonne, but she probably has the loudest mouth after April Kepner."

She looked up and waved. "Is this good enough?"

"Yeah, you can toss it. Let me just move back a bit, so I don't show up to the party, debuting a black eye."

"You'd look like a whole snack with a black eye." She blew me a kiss, and I offered an exaggerated eye roll in return. "But maybe step back since I don't think they ready for it yet."

I shuffled back from the edge, barely moving back before her polka dot patterned bag came flying towards me. Landing just before me and already rolling down the incline, I reached out and grasped the strap of the bag before it tumbled right back over.

"We good?" Her question broke my ear once I raised my phone back to my ear.

"Yeah." I lifted my thumb into a thumbs-up I was sure she couldn't see from down there. "Go inside," I told her before hanging up the call and crawled back, through the window, into my room.

A few seconds later, the doorbell went off, interrupting the romantic comedy Aunt Yvonne had forced upon Uncle Jayson for their movie night selection. The door opened some seconds later, and I heard Tamara's voice say,

"Hey, Ms. Yvonne,"

"Tamara? We weren't expecting you. Did something happen?"

I heard the door close. "Naw. Addy and I just have a study sesh with Hakeem. To study for her Advanced Functions test on Monday."