20 | christmastime magic

a/n  happy reading y'all. vote, comment and follow. 

#

"I'll just be a second, Ma."

"That's alright, honey. Just make sure it's only a second because we still have to go over to Evangeline's place."

Alighting from the car, I poked my head back inside. "I have to go to Ms. Jalloh's place because you're a notorious hoverer." Closing the door, I called out, "Just park the car somewhere, I'll be out soon."

"One day, you'll grow up and realize I only hover because I care!" Ma replied before pulling away from the curb.

Cradling my gift basket against my hip and bending my head down to at least prevent some of the wind that carried frigid cold, I crossed the snow-covered lawn across to Elton's Retirement home.

Christmas lights that switched from green to red adorned the skeletal trees and the neatly trimmed hedges that looked too green to be real while the recreation of Santa and his reindeers spanned the yard with a few snowmen thrown in the mix.

Inside, an unbelievably large Christmas tree decorated with large ornaments, green, red and silver tinsel greeted me. Gifts of varying sizes were laid out underneath the tree. And if I'd thought the lawn looked like Santa took a dump there, then he must have through his whole workshop inside. Different Christmas themed ornaments and lights hung up from the sky, seemingly almost swaying to the "Jingle Bells" that played softly. Tinsel shaped every piece of furniture, and when I ran my hands through the decorative material, it came back speckled with a few flakes of snow. Lining the walls of the lobby were Christmas pictures of the residents. Some goofy, some caught in motion and others secret snapshots. I was examine the fourth picture, with Rome and his grandmother and a couple of friends, when a door opened behind me.

I turned around quickly enough to almost give myself whiplash. Coming out of a backroom behind the counter, Isabella balanced a couple of boxes in her arms. Walking around the bar, she paused abruptly and poked her head around the carton.

"Oh, hey!" she greeted and waved one before dropping my arms down to my sides. Still delicately balancing her boxes, she walked towards the tree, motioning for me to follow before continuing, "I didn't see anything on my schedule about the dance classes. Didn't think it was going to run today, to be honest."

"Oh, no. The class isn't running today. I just came over to drop some things--do you need help with those boxes?"

"No, it's alright, I got it. Just going to place it over by the trees and will hang up the ornaments later."

I craned my neck back to examing the tree, which already looked like the elves decorating might have gone crazy while on the job. Regardless, I nodded along and said, "Yeah, the tree could use more decorations and ornaments."

Isabella dropped the boxes and turned to wave me off. "No, it doesn't. But I just love Christmas so much and love to go the extra mile on everything. But that's for later. You said the dance class isn't happening today, so what can I help you with?"

"I brought over this gift basket"--I went back to the table I'd dropped it off and brought to her--"to say happy holidays!"

"Oh, wow. Thank you so much for this, sweetie. You really didn't have to," she said, taking the gift basket Aunt Yvonne and Tamara had helped me perfectly curate.

"I wanted to, and it really was no problem at all." Except for more than a few broken nails and a couple glass succulents that had the unfortunate pleasure of meeting my tape dispenser at 12 in the morning.