Part XXXVII: My Room

I was surrounded by a thicket of tall, green trees. Where the heck was I? I turned in a circle and yelled out.

"Hello! Anyone, hello!"

There was a rustle of leaves. I snapped back like a rubber band. There was a strange man crouching two metres from me.

He had dark blonde hair that fell to the back of his neck. I scuttled back and gulped. His head popped up and I stared at black eyes!

Actual black eyes, black irises that bled into the white of the pupil. Was this a demon?

A bellow grumbled out of its throat. I ran for my life. I could feel him chasing me and hear the crash of his body in the air and through the thickets.

Then the scenery changed and I was dashing past red brick walls, and my bare feet were cut as I dashed on the crackled pavement.

A monstrous roar followed me and my heart panted, my stomach flipped and blinding terror overtook my brain.

Then I was tackled to the ground as if I was in a football game. I felt red hot pinpricks of pain sprinting down my thighs and arms.

I cried out, the pain overtaking my consciousness. I was spun violently back and the skin from my left breast was grazed. Black devilish eyes stared into my soul. I felt my throat tighten.

"Garrett!" said a soft voice distantly.
The dirty blonde man was pulled back by a musician's hand.

I jolted up from my bed, gasping. I held my breast, which was injured. Now it wasn't. I let my eyes wonder and I was able to see a small room with a window close to the corner.

Beneath the window was a desk. On the opposite side was a wooden wardrobe. There was no forest or brick walls.

What was that in my dream? I felt my stomach toss and grumble. I kicked off the blue sheets and got up. I walked to the kitchen.

I hope my roommates didn't finish the leftovers. I opened the fridge and all I could see were condiments. I sighed. I closed the fridge again.

No food. I went back to my room and shrugged the covers over my face. My mobile rang. I groaned and answered it after snatching it from beneath my pillow.

"Hello, who is this?"
"Good evening, Makayla. Did I wake you?" a soft voice trilled.

My heart ran. I pulled my sheets tighter around my waist.

"Marcus? How are you calling? Benjamin told me you don't have a phone."

"I don't; this is Demetri's."

I scoffed.

"You borrowed his phone?"
"Unorthodox, yes, but I did need to speak with you."

"Yes? How was your party? Did your guests think you looked good?"

My heart was in tune with him, waiting in anticipation.

"It was actually enjoyable; I usually let my brother Aro host, but he was not in the mood. Thank you, I could not have achieved such a feat without you, dear."

I felt the smile takeover my face.

"My pleasure. You know I like your clothes, right? But if we go somewhere public you could use the stuff we bought."

I heard a laugh.
"And when we go to hotels or operas, I shall wear my normal attire. In fact, we should go shopping for you as well."

Was he joking? Then I thought, Marcus did not joke about things he was going to do. Let me not push this matter.

He'll forget anyway and I don't need to pester him like I'm his girl.
"What did you need me for? Is everything ok?"

"No."
My face fell.

"What's wrong?" I said now untucking my blanket.

"Nothing you can fix. But I wanted to see you and I am outside your lodgings but perhaps I was being too rash, like a teenager."

I blushed then I stood and moved my flimsy curtain there was a guy outside in a hoody with long hair.

I had so many questions...
Why are you outside my apartment?
Why did you drive here late at night?

What was going on at home to make him feel he had to come?

But instead I asked: "Are you the guy outside my window with a hoody?"

The guy with the hoody looked up and I recognised Marcus' sombre face. I closed the curtain hastily.

"Makayla."

I hurriedly pushed my feet into flip-flops and I shut my bedroom door.
"Marcus, I'm coming to get you downstairs. Stay there."

"Fine."

I ended the call and put my phone on my study desk. I automatically opened the apartment door and I closed it firmly before running down the first flight of stairs.

Then I soared down the next two flights. The wind slapping my legs. Then I found Marcus in a hoody in front of the apartment complex.

"What are you doing here?"

He walked forward. Then he stopped five inches from me. He tilted his head, and scrunched up his small dark coffee eyes.

"I already informed you. I am here to speak with you," he said.

"I know so start yapping. I'm not here at 1 a.m. for you just to be quiet like you always are."
He chuckled.

"I suppose that would be ridiculous. I do not know where to begin."
I grabbed his large hand, it was cold.

"Come on, it's cold out."
I pulled him and he didn't resist. He followed me upstairs silently, hand in hand.

Once we were in front of Apartment 203, I pushed the door open. He entered and I locked the door.
"You left that open?"

I nodded. I was just gonna come back in a few minutes, locking it would have made no sense. He frowned.

"Please refrain from that, it's not safe."
"It's fine."

I looked at the door separating the communal hallway from the lounge then I steered away.

My housemate Alejandro could come back with a friend; and it would be distracting for a serious conversation.

In my room he scoured the little place ; it was two thirds his own.

"I'm sorry it's cramped. I would have invited you to the living room, but my housemate usually brings friends over from about this time."

I brushed back a stray curl.
"It is perfectly alright. Where may I take a seat?"

I pet my bed. He hesitantly crept nearer then he sat, his back facing me. Ok....

"Makayla, I am bothered. My brother is infuriating me. He has me in the middle of his affairs."

My heart sank. And I thought of Aro, did he know he made a pass at me?

"There is a lady he came into acquittance with and she was rejected by him but now he wants to court her.

It makes me angry because he never told his wife he no longer loves her and wants to be with another."

Marcus was glaring at the ceiling.
"That is terrible but what does that have to do with you?"

He looked at me with burning eyes.
"I am the one that introduced them and I feel responsible for the unhappiness of both women.

I should have never done that, but now it is rather late for me to do anything but discourage my brother from disreputing his marriage to his wife."

It seemed like the culprit here would be Aro, he dressed snazzy, had the money to have a girlfriend or two and the confidence.

"Don't blame yourself for what Aro has done."
His eyes squinted and I slapped my palm over my mouth. God! What had I said?