Part LVI: The Deal

I raced through the hallways with my heart fluttering wildly in my chest. I couldn't breathe and I couldn't stop crying. I heard the screams of those people all over again, in my mind. I dashed away from the giant golden doors that dwarfed me. 

I came into the reception and was faced by a thick woman with reddish-brown hair and pale brown skin. The air caught in my throat.
Corin.... I said remembering her.
You...so you arent a dream after all.

She looked green and she shivered as she saw me.
Wasn't I the one who should be scared?
He...llo. May I help? Do you wish to see Master Marcus?
I remembered the glint of his fangs as he tore into that young boy's flesh. I felt a vile burning sensation in my throat.

No!
I didn't want to see him like that again! It had to be a dream.  I walked into a firm body and a feathery, silken voice whispered into my ear. 

Makayla, my sweet, where do you think you are going? he asked in an eerily sweet voice.
I tried to shake him off.

Let go of me!
His cold hands were brushing against my barren shoulders.

Why would you ever want to leave now? he asked menacingly.
Why am I even here? I want to go home!
You are where you should be, Kayla.

Dont call me that! I yelled.
I dont know where I found the sudden strength. I pushed him and he nearly fell back. His square face was wide eyed in shock and his loose, straight hair flew in his face. I ran.

Fine! You want to run I will accommodate your wishes.
But Master said Corin as I rushed away.

Something blurred past and Aro stood in front of me, blocking the door to the square outside. I squealed.
Do you not tire running from me?
He strode towards me. I turned and he was in front of me.

I admire your spunk but learn to give up! I have won, where can you go, now that you know our secret?
He smiled triumphantly. His sharp fangs gleamed as he came straight at my neck.

I jumped up.
I gasped.

Makayla? asked Demetri as he sat beside my bed.
It was only a dream.
He tried to touch me and I flinched. His face fell.
I wont harm you.

But you killed a woman not much older than me in cold blood and Im supposed to believe that? I said in a shaky voice.

He looked away.
You saw that? he said softly.
Obviously, I muttered. I wiped a stray tear away.

I hugged my knees close to my chest and I put my chin on top of them.
Am I losing it or what? I saw youMarcus, Renata and Benjamin attacking people with your teeth and blood

I felt my throat close up and I felt my eyes burn. Demetri reached out but he hesitated.
You arent crazy and I actually thought youd cause more of a scene than this...
Marcus saw me try to escape and conveniently my friends came to my rescue as Aro crept up on me.

I think Im in shockwhat I saw was so bad I feel numbpeople I care for and innocents are involved I dont know how to feel.

Demetri sighed.
This is not pleasant but I have to kill to survive as do human beings.
So, you arent human, any of you?
He shook his head.

Youre vampires.
He sighed then responded with a solemn yes. I clenched my knuckles.

Is Marcus going to kill me?
Demetri gawked at me with lipstick-red irises.
Why, why would you think that?

Dont act innocent, Demetri. I know those people you slaughtered yesterday were part of a tour group. You wouldve done the same to me, wouldnt you?

I stared and begged him to argue
He didnt.
That was before he knew and loved you.

But now I know his secret, will he still not want to kill me, do you know that for sure?

I cried and Demetris eyes blurred with tears but none fell. He was too heartless to cry for a human being?
Makayla.

Get out. He told you to bring me here, so Ill face the cold-blooded killer and ask him all these questions I have instead.
I sat there, on his bed until the sky blackened to pitch.

Footsteps cracked on the ancient floorboards, unmasked by the dusty carpets.
Demetri, a solemn voice shouted. It was Marcus.
Why are you out here; you should be with her. Its not safe.

She told me to leave her. Shes waiting for you.
It went quiet after that exchange and the door moaned as it was forced open and a little light dribbled in from the hallway.