Part XII: The Nightly Visitors

I laid in the inn's bed, wondering how to tell my brother I was stuck in Italy with no assurance of returning to home soil.

I sighed and flicked on the bedside lamp; I dialled my brother's number. It didn't ring many times before his uncharacteristically worried voice revealed itself.

"Oh, my gosh Makayla, where are you? I can't see you anywhere in the airport. Are you held up in the arrival bay? Did your flight get delayed because of the weather; I heard it is common..."

I sighed, wondering if I should tell him my agent stole some of my airfare money and that I had offended the only person willing to help me.

"I'm not even home, Jamal! I'm still in Italy."

He breathed out, a sound that was half relieved and anxious simultaneously.

"Why are you still in Italy?"

"There was a mix-up at the airline so instead of for today they booked my flight for tomorrow."

Now that was an outright lie but did I have a choice? He didn't need to know the truth until I was home...I hoped I would be home laughing with him over this.

"Ok, you could have called earlier. I was here for hours you know. Tomorrow I might not make it," he played.

He always pretended I annoyed the heck out of him but I gave him a good change from the people he surrounded himself with. Little boys that called themselves men and drunk themselves to near death on weekends.

"I love you; you know?"

"I know," he said warmly.

We said our goodbyes and he warned me to call when I was actually home otherwise I'd find my own way back...Lord, knows how. I went back to a resting position on my bed.

I could not find slumber that night and later after hours lying awake I began to doze off. There was raucous rapping on the door that tilted me out of the frame of sleep.

I opened the door a crack because I was only in my shorts and tank top. I peered up at Ms Agricola and I opened it wider to see her lips were white and her brows stretched thin over her thin nose.

"Buorna sera," I told her sleepily.

I rubbed my eyes.

"Come down, you have visitors."

She abruptly turned and walked stiffly down the hall leaving me confused.

Did Demetri come back to tell me that they could no longer help me?
My heart pounded as my anxiety rose.

Once I was appropriately dressed, rosary over my breasts l walked carefully down the steps. All the lights in the house were suddenly off; I found it strange since usually the living and corridor lights remained on at night.

The innkeepers stood at the corner of their window, hands shaking. Once every often they whispered to one another. I made my presence known by speaking.

They turned to me and beseeched me to tell my visitors to leave and come rest. Their behaviour was weird at best but I went along with it for them to relax.

"Where are my visitors?"

Why had they not invited them inside? They gestured to the far point on their lawn with a lonely garden light.

I looked through the partially raised curtain and saw a slender, tall man with long hair, in a strange cape.

I recognised him as Demetri immediately. I went outside, my feet seemed noisy in the silence. I jumped off the porch and went across the grass to see him.

"Demetri? Why'd you come back?"

The caped figure turned toward my voice; he was now directly under the garden light but his face was hooded by the long hair. I was an inch from him when l grasped his arm.

The figure bowed to look at my little body. Under the dim light l made out a long face and melancholic eyes. I jumped and removed my hand from the figure. He was not Demetri!

"MARCUS! WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU DOING HERE?"

He shuffled closer his face longer than usual, he was still upset. I kept my distance. He stopped moving.

"I have come to speak with you."

I held my face.

"Can't we do this tomorrow?"

His moods were making my head spin.

"Please, I know I acted out of turn today but please let me explain to you why. I never meant what I said and I still have every intention of helping you. Please allow me."

He wasn't exactly apologising but he was genuine and I was still going to get home.

"Ok, Marcus. I'll give you a chance."

Demetri had arrived early, at six, in the morning, as we had agreed last night. He carried my bags. 

Every time the innkeepers insisted I wait until I ,at least prayed, had breakfast or until they actually booked my ticket; Demetri shoved them with the most charming smile. He dismissed their concerns.

"We shall take care of her needs from now on."
They silently, with deep frowns furrowed into their faces, watched us drive away in a Mercedes Benz.

"Good morning, did you sleep well?" he asked me happily.
I nodded, anxious to get home quickly.

"Why didn't you come with us last night?"
He cut straight to the bones of the matter.

"I was tired and my innkeepers were very worried about me travelling that late."
I saw his eyes harden.

"We are very trustworthy."
I gave him a curious glance.
"I never said you weren't."

It became awkward after that.

After I agreed last night to speak with Marcus before my flight, if it would be booked, Demetri also detached from the night. He came up behind Marcus and I looked at him.

What the fuck, dude? Why was Marcus here with him?

Demetri could only shrug then.

"Why did you bring him last night? He didn't want me around..."

So, Marcus shouldn't have wanted to see me as an extension of that feeling...

Demetri steered left before saying: "Master Marcus felt bad for screaming at you. He felt it was improper, even though you did disrespect him.

He wanted to make amends and he refused to let it wait until this morning. But don't worry he will be calm today."

I frowned. That didn't make me feel any better.