Part LVIII: All the Stars

I sat on the couch in the library; I had cleaned. Aro had the decency or rather the sense not to face me this early in the day. My eyes were red and strained.

The sun had started climbing up the Volterra sky and a soft blush coloured the chilled air.

He was a pervert; he had only been giving me short dresses. Today, I had found my bed made and on top of it laid a black off-shoulder dress.

At least he had left studded thigh high boots but I could still see the impracticality

At least he had left studded thigh high boots but I could still see the impracticality. It was numbingly cold today. I had not felt it yesterday because Marcus' room had a heater and so did the art gallery.

But in this library it felt as if I had sat down in a freezer. My fingers twitched and I could hardly feel the blood circulating.

I sneezed. I stood up.
"Demetri? Benji? Any of you there?" I asked uncertainly.

I sat.
"Yes?" Demerti said from beside me. My heart quaked and I jumped a foot into the air. Demetri's waves were primed into a top knot and he had on a red sweater.

"Demetri, I told you to knock first to alert her."
Benjamin berated him.

"Sorry, Kayla. You called?"
"Is there somewhere where I can get a jacket. It's freezing."

"There wasn't one left by Jane?"
I shook and sniffed.
"Never saw her, just found these on the bed."

"Must be Aro who chose these, I've never seen you wear anything this small...apart from the yellow dress." Demetri teased.

"Don't remind me." I scoffed.
Benjamin tilted his head at me.
"You seemed to like it; Marcus gave it to you."

"No. Marcus didn't give it to me."
Benjamin looked at Demetri knowingly.
"So you know?" Benjamin said.

I looked up, startled.
"Did you two know about all this?"
Demetri turned his face to the book I had discarded in the corner.

"I suspected, Aro took a turn for the worst when you went home the first time. When you met Marcus again he started doing strange things...even for him." Benjamin recounted.

"I'm sorry....I did. Marcus eventually confided in me that you were not his but Aro's mate."

"Then why all the games?"
Benjamin pulled at his black trenchcoat.
"Why would Marcus say he loved me if he didn't? "

"He does love you," Benjamin said.
"Then why'd he leave me here alone?"
They couldn't answer.

"Let's go get that jacket before you get pneumonia," insisted Demetri.
We walked out of the room into the east wing past colourful doors.

"And try not to panic. The women here are slight; most were transformed before they reached adulthood...so the only one who might have a similar size to yours is Corin." Demetri said.

I inhaled stiffly.
"Great...I don't care as long as she doesn't try to eat me."
Benjamin looked ahead as he walked beside me. I was in the centre, between these tall men.

The hallway was a ghost town. We knocked on a puce coloured door. The door opened and Corin bowed when she saw me.

"Hello my lady."
My friends and I looked at one another other.
"Are you talking to me?" I said.

"Well, you are the only woman apart from me."
"Ok, so.... I need a jacket. May you lend me yours?"
Corin went inside and swiftly returned with a a long maroon coat.

 May you lend me yours?"Corin went inside and swiftly returned with a a long maroon coat

"This should do."
"Thank you."
We turned to go when she stopped us.
"Wait, the Master wishes to see you."

We were all spooked.
Benjamin hid me behind him.
"Which master?" I asked.

"Aro, he insisted you come immediately. So, I can take you to his chambers if you like."

I turned and started walking.
"Tell him I said, no thanks. I'm not interested in seeing him at all. Thanks, again."

I could feel her grimace.
"Very well." The door closed.
The guys kept pace with me.

"Aro, is not going to like you refusing him." Benjamin warned.

"I know, but who does he think he is? He's acting as if he's being so kind to me sending me clothes but I have basic needs...food, freedom and warmth. If not for you guys I'd be dead."

"Exaggeration, much? One day of not eating won't kill you." Benjamin laughed.

"Don't pay mind to Benji here. Marcus would be furious if he knew we weren't feeding you. He left specific orders regarding that." Demetri informed me.

My heart warmed.
"At least I don't have to worry about starving. But Aro...how can he boldly come after me if Marcus has said I'm his mate. Does his wife know?"

Benjamin stretched.
"Doubtful. The wives are always in the dark about the happenings in Volterra, and their husbands' actions."

"And to be honest this situation is a bit messed up. Aro, the day he met you...said you were not worth becoming his mate..." Demetri revealed.

"Really?" Benjamin said. "Where was I?"
"And now he's pursuing me, why?" I said, frustrated.

It was all the same....Aro didn't love me but he wanted me for selfish reasons. Marcus claimed he loved me but he was gone and he had wanted Aro to accept me before...was that why he'd left to give me back?

I clenched my fist.

I wasn't a toy to pass around, between brothers. I had a choice. If Aro thought he could just go and bribe me he was going to get hell from me.

"It's a lonely thing...immortality. Maybe he's looking for someone to love." Benjamin said.

"Uh...he already has someone to love." I rebutted.

Demetri shook his head. We returned to the library.

"Sulpicia may be his wife but their marriage was one of convenience. He does love her, but he's never been attracted to her...Even Renata thought he was only in the marriage to appease heterosexual subjects but when he started his affairs it soon became clear what the issue was."

"So, he doesn't find anything about her attractive?"

"No, he never touched her. Ever since their wedding night, he has never laid a hand on her. It made her so discontent Aro had to ask Corin to make her content with the situation."

I felt bad for her.
"I'm taking away her husband?"
"Actually, she was never his only in name." Benjamin said.

"So, Aro has been filling that void in his life with money, power and sex but then you came and that void finally could not be concealed. He realised it was there all along.

He hated Marcus after that, for having you." Demetri solliloquyied.

I felt bile rise. This was a war...for my affections.