Chapter 14: Memories of the Fallen Grim Reaper

The night had already fallen on the Human Realm when Death walked on the human surface. News had traveled fast even in his Realm as some of his servants announced the 'Falling' of the two beings from Heaven and Hell. The black hooded man, with darkness as his face, quickly teleported and headed to the world of the living.

He knew the reasons and cursed himself for not noticing earlier. He had felt in his core that the woman with the golden wings was condemned into the most severe punishment, which was even worse than spending an eternity on Nether Realm; he was the Lord of his Realm after all.

But now as night was covering his traces and the summer crickets were singing their songs Death did the only one thing he was the best at; he sensed the deceased and followed the traces.

He found the pair, sitting on the ground. The one winged Demon was still holding the empty of life shell of the Angel, rocking their bodies slowly back and forth humming a melody unknown to Death's hearing. He looked at Marco; he was covered everywhere with blood.

On his head it was clear that his horns were pulled out and the same had happened with his right wing. The reason he hadn't disappeared was the remaining left wing, which hung on his shoulder in a way as if it mourned too for the loss of its pair.

Death came closer and looked at the grieving fallen Demon; his red eyes were empty of emotion and he was looking at the sleeping face of the dead woman with such care and love, a feeling unknown, yet, to Death.

"Kid." He spoke finally.

Marco didn't turn at him, neither acknowledged his presence.

"Kid, it's time."

Marco stop moving and humming and finally looked up at the hooded figure.

"Did you come to take her? Don't ever get bored on torturing those around you?! Lucifer, God and even YOU!" Marco cried out with fury and pressed to his chest Auge's body

Death let his hand appear from his long black sleeves; the bony, almost skeleton finger made Marco shiver from fear.

"Her spirit has already left her body. You must let her body disappear too; only your willpower is keeping her from dissolving."

"NO!"

"Listen Marco, if you have at least some feelings for her, let her rest...she doesn't deserve this." Death showed the pale, cold black dressed body on Marco's arms.

The Demon looked at her; he had closed already her eyelids and now she looked like she was sleeping peacefully on his arms, with her head laid on his chest. But she wouldn't wake up, not anymore.

Sobs left his lips and Marco placed Auge on the trunk of the tree, with her back on the hard wood. He got up, with his whole body hurting from his wounds and stood near Death.

They both saw the golden dust appearing on the Angel's skin and soon it covered her whole, making her disappear completely from their eyes. The golden dust entered the ground and suddenly the leaves on the giant old tree shined golden.

The trunk emitted warmth and Marco touched with his fingertips the wood. No tears were left on his eyes and quickly he pulled his hand from it. The tree slowly dissolved and disappeared completely from their eyes.

"So even her soulless body had power..." Death commented amazed with the miracle and turned at Marco.

He had already started to walk, slowly with pain ravaging him on both body and spirit. His one wing was curled on his back but it wasn't giving him the balance he wanted; as if he was left half after the loss of his right one.