Chapter 9: Soaring into the wind

Anastasia

Screams that never end, Axius's aura and Haimei's last words; I feel like I am losing more and more than myself in this place. I don't want to die, I don't want Auge to disappear and I can't stop until I find Marco.

At least he has to go back; judging from what I have seen so far he deeply fell in love with her, but still I haven't 'seen' what caused him to become a Grim Reaper.

"Ana"

Persea?

"Ana wake up!"

I opened my eyes slowly; the first thing I saw was the same black sky, a constant reminder of where I was. Trying to get up, I felt my body heavy and my feet tired but the weight on my back startled me; the golden wings were still attached on my back, since my fleeing from the circus of the Third Circle.

"Ana."

I turned at Persea; he looked tired and his armor had almost lost its grey glow, while his short brown hair was glimmering faintly. He panted tiredly but his black eyes were sad as he looked at me. He was mourning too.

"Persea, where are we?" I asked him as I stared around.

"I've just come out from the bracelet. I don't know where we are but below us, I can sense really strong winds."

I gazed around me; we were standing into a huge black rock that looked like an island. But when Persea guided me to the edge of the rock, terrified I realized that this was a floating island, standing midair into the void; bellow us I could hear the sound of winds rushing and blowing with speed, while as we stepped back Perseus showed me a huge group of black crystals, big and small, standing in the center of the floating island.

"Before I tried to awake you, the crystals for a moment became white and clear, like mirrors. But soon they changed back into black."

"I see. We should cross this Circle before anyone finds out that we are here."

"Ana?"

"Yes?"

"How did you get these wings?"

The ghost was staring at my wings with question; I knew that he couldn't hear Auge speaking to me but I had to try and explain it.

"Let's say that it is a result of my inner strength. For now let's focus on our escaping route."

He nodded, obviously not satisfied with my answer and turned to the crystal. I looked at the bracelet; Haimei's sword charm had turned into rust with no light coming from it; Perseus's shield was glimmering but Kachina's feather was quiet.

"Kachina."

No reaction came from the charm.

"I am so sorry Kachina, I am so sorry. I couldn't protect Haimei and I can't tell you how ashamed I feel. Please say something."

The feather continued to remain silent and I started crying; holding my palms on my face, I tried to keep the sobs from bursting out. My head was heavy and my eyes tired and watery; but when I looked at myself concentrating my senses on me, my gaze fell at my hands.

They looked wrinkled and long with the nails dirty and the knuckles being visible from my skin. Looking at my feet, the black jeans were short and my hips look heavy and...fat? My chest felt sore from the falling as also my back; for a reason as I tried to walk my feet were getting heavier and the bones were making a cracking sound. The sword was still tied on my waist and I touched the cold surface of the black sheath.