Chapter 12: Like the sun and the moon

Auge checked once more her white veil and fixed nervously the silver ties of her sandals around her knees. She paced quickly from her bedroom towards her living room and opened her wide window, gazing at the flickering stars.

It's been three weeks since her last meeting with Uriel; from that time the Angel hadn't stopped not even a second thinking of her words, how complicated and dangerous her origin was, how much everyone were expecting from her but above all, she wanted to curse this night.

Like all the Angels, she had to attend the "Dancing of Feathers" a ceremony for every holy being, where the partners for life were chosen. Meli and Moli had attended this ritual but so far they hadn't found anyone who was the destined one for them. They had kept bugging her about the importance of this rare ceremony, since its success depended on the moon, and how well dressed she had to be in order to appeal to the male Angels.

"But I don't want to dance if he isn't there to see me..." Auge mumbled to herself, hoping that the stars would give her the answers she was looking for.

Since the truth was learnt, Auge tried many times to speak about it to Marco. But no matter the times she spent on the Human Realm, the Demon never appeared to her. But she could feel the traces of his power, his presence and scent into the places she was passing from, as if Marco was trying to remind her that she was there for her.

Auge wanted to explain everything; she wished deeply in her heart that the Demon could return her feelings and then she wouldn't wish for anything more from Him.

Closing again the window Auge slowly walked towards her vanity mirror, in order to check once more her appearance, something she did continuously for the last two hours. It was her only way to stay calm and not 'freak out' like Marco would say.

Her reflection stared back at her; anyone would lose his breath from the sight of the majestic, well dressed figure of the Angel. Instead of her usual short chiton and her golden sandals, Auge was wearing a long white gown. Made of the shiniest, silkiest fabric it covered her smoothly, ending just above her ankles. It was straight, emphasizing on the lines of her legs, strapless as it was, leaving her shoulders bare, as also her back for her wings to have plenty of room to move. The only part of her attire which worked as a covering was the transparent silky white veil, which was falling now on her shoulders with its end just above her wing joints on her back.

With her long blond hair tied up and decorated with purple and silver hairpins, the crystal teardrop earrings were glowing faintly, since they were made from the light of the stars. Her neck was bare of jewelry while her face was the only part of her body the young Angel was looking ecstatic. When Meli and Moli had finished her makeup, Auge stared for a while the woman on the mirror and so did now. Her lips were red, her eyelashes painted light purple, making her eyes more intense with a faint glow of stardust on her eyelids. Her cheeks were blushing pink from the soft dust the two Angels had put on her and Auge chuckled when she remembered how it tickled.

Stepping away from the mirror, she hopped up and got out from her home, sitting on the top of her cloud. The moon was already shining brightly and when it would reach its peak, then the bond between Angels would be made. But before that they had to choose each other by dancing on the lake with the clearest, purest water on Earth.

That was the explanation Uriel had given to her and Auge obeyed; her Lady's will was an order but the blonde Angel would dance only for the one, who couldn't be there for her.

"Auge!" two happy voices were heard into the night sky.

She turned around, locking her gaze with the two flying figures; Meli and Moli were also dressed with the same white gowns but with different veils. Moli's was blue and Meli's was light green. They flew around her in circles as she was getting up from her cloud seeing them with a smile.