Chapter 104: After Party

Eliza's POV:

I smile. Watching on at my Mother stumbling through a rather simple waltz as my Father so swiftly corrects him at every turn. His movements, effortless.

Their connection is stronger than any couple I've ever seen, it's as if my Father can anticipate his every blunder before it's committed. His feet picking up the slack, his hands guiding him through the simple melody.

"Are you Lady Eliza Phantomhive?" A guest from the village enquires nervously, as though my status unsettled him.

"Yes, how may I help you?"

"I just wanted to give my support to the happy couple, though I must admit, finding out that Earl Phantomhive has been a Lady all this time has shocked us all. She hid her identity so well." He remarks, taking a glance at my beautiful Mother.

"She believed that she would lose her status if she were to reveal herself, which unfortunately is true. That is the reason we beg of you to keep this quiet."

"You can trust us, my Lady. We couldn't give up a ruler like our current Earl. Since she took up her Father's mantle, we've been taken from the clutches of poverty. Few of us are struggling for food, and those that are simply have to request help from your Mother."

I try to maintain a composed, relaxed demeanour while becoming more and more uneasy with the conversation. Not a fault of the man nor of the situation itself, simply an unexplainable and uncomfortable anxiety welling within my chest. Bubbling beneath the surface.

"I'm so very glad you no longer need to worry financially, just know this family will always be here to provide any aid you require." I add eloquently, trying to end the conversation as kindly as possible. "I hope you enjoy the rest of the celebration."

He parrots it back to me sweetly as I give him a bow, allowing for me to finally turn away only for my face to bump against my Father's suit.

"Stressed?"

I step back, flicking my eyes up to meet his in subtle confusion. "How do you always seem to know when someone grows anxious?"

"I can hear the heartbeats of everyone in this room. While most civilians are at a middle of the road in terms of volume, those I spend a lot of time around like your Mother, you and Astre are a cacophonous. I can hear even the slightest of changes, the smallest of skips."

My Father's words would be unsettling from the lips of a stranger, but to know that it is not in his control and the fact that he can forever know when I require comfort is calming. Quelling part of the growing anxiety I had felt only moments prior.

"Would you mind telling me what happened?"

"It was simply an overreaction by yours truly, that's all. The man was praising the family and wishing us well, it was simply just...an illogical build up of stress. Nothing more nothing less."

He brings his gloved hand to his chin, pondering what could be the issue, most likely.

"I have a theory of what could be troubling you darling but that can wait for Friday's independent psychologist appointment. For now, come with me. You'll forget all about it." He reaches out a hand to me which I gladly take, hoping to finally be able to speak to Mother after today's ceremony.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ciel's POV

Tulle ball gown spins with me as I dance with my frankly breathtaking cousin as her emerald green ruffled dress hugs her every curve. Her eyes sparkling brighter than I've ever seen, the dress only accentuating their beauty. Blonde locks flowing freely, showing the sheer length it has grown, her ends reaching thigh length in stunning ringlet curls.

"Ciel, I'm so very happy you were honest with me that day. Seeing you here, glowing from head to toe, was worth it. Well worth it."

"Seeing you with Finnian was all the proof I needed that what I did was right. The slap was well worth seeing you as you are right now."

We slow our dancing to a steady halt only to wrap one another in our arms. The happiest we've ever been in our entire lives.

A tap interrupts my train of though as I gently release my cousin only to find my dashing husband and our gorgeous daughter. The look in Sebastian's eyes scream of 'I'll explain later on' as I find my daughter's heartbeat elevated enough to be recognised as being in a more anxious state.

"Why don't we go cut the cake?"