Chapter 72: The First Trial

Ciel's PoV

My hand caresses my abdomen, drawing strength from the reassurance that it brings me. I welcome what is to come. For all of those awaiting my return.

And so, I play the part.

"What do you want from me?"

"Your soul."

This isn't exactly the first time you've said that to me, Sebastian.

Though this isn't really you. I know that. I feel I must remember, hold on to the memory of you as you are. For I fear this twisted visage of you will prove dangerous. That your memory may be tainted if I no longer hold it close.

My bedroom fades to dust as I am left in a dark room. Reminiscent of when I first saw Sebastian in his Raven form. When our contract was sealed.

When I gave him my life in exchange for my end.

"You aren't worthy of my soul, demon."

"Prove yourself, and I will let you live."

"If I lose, your lips are not the ones who will feast upon my soul. Lest ye forget."

"We will see."

There is nothing to see as I stand on the edge of a cliff. Teetering on the edge of Oblivion.

Many would weep if they stood on the edge of nothingness. Staring out into the gaping abyss with no ability to turn away. To run from the end.

I jump.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sebastian's PoV

"You never told me how severe his symptoms would be-"

"I've never seen them so severe in my existence, Michaelis. I've never seen someone so close to death from this."

Ciel would have died if I had left the room.

I would have lost the love of my life right then and there. His soul far too ready for collection.

I am the one to blame.

For allowing myself the pleasure of seeing him smile only to know I would be the reason he died.

My seed fertilising whatever has been placed inside. My child expanding from within. Growing and growing until it kills it's own mother.

Yet, I cannot help but love this child.

A child born of perfection such as it's mother would surely be perfection on another level.

Even his face now, drained and fatigued, could rival the likes of Aphrodite and Athena.

A child born of him would surely become so much more than human beings could ever dare to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ciel's POV

I awaken to the sound of bones crunching beneath my fallen body. Clattering and scattering as I stand, only to find my own reflection staring back.

A version of myself that mirrors my actions.

"What do you want?" I don't even bother to ask for a name. After all, demons do so love the satisfaction of revealing that they are above such a thing.

"No pleasantries? Oh, I've forgotten how much you didn't give a shit about Father's rules."

"You're going to pretend to be my conscience now? Fine. I love to play games."

"Like the selfish child you are."

"Everyone is a little selfish. Arrogant even. Just like you."

"I'm a reflection of yourself-"

"Cut the shit, that psyche bull won't work with me."

"You think this is a joke?"

"No, darling. It's a game. God you're terribly slow for a demon."

"I'm not a-"

"I said, cut the shit."

The doppelgänger's face scrunches up in anger, yet I know I have already won. Now I simply need the last few steps before I reach checkmate.

"I am not a-"

"Stop lying."

"I'm-!"

"Nope."

"Sto-"

"Not a chance."

"Fu-"

"Spit it out."

"FINE. I'm a fucking demon just doing my fucking job of scaring people into dying. Why is that any of your business smartass?!"

Frustration seeping from every pour as the acting demon comes to boiling point.

But, I will never give it the satisfaction of my response.

For I leave with one word hanging in the air. Stepping backwards slowly, carefully, until I reach the ledge I have been seeking.

"Checkmate."