Chapter 61: Fall

Slow

Meticulous

The knife presses down.

"Ciel, please, just take a day off. Go back to bed, you need to rest."

"No Sebastian, I'm restless and I need to do something before I go mad."

"You'll only strain yourself-"

Golden locks bounce.

Green meets blue.

Light meets dark.

The knife twists.

"Elizabeth! How well did your confession go?"

Smile greets scowl.

Love crushes heartache.

"He said yes! We're having dinner in the grounds tonight!"

"Congratulations! You've chosen well. Finny is quite an honourable young man, one that earns the respect of others. It's no wonder you were attracted to him."

"Why?"

"You're as honourable as any man could ever be, my Lady. You only deserve the finest."

Gloved hands attempt to soothe, but all they seem to do is harm me further.

For at their mere touch, I am silenced.

"Thank you so much! I'm going to get some help picking out a gown from Sieglinde, is it alright if I invite Eliza along?"

"Of course, you are welcome to anything you require. I will see to it that you have a wonderful evening. I assure you."

"Then, I will see you both later."

The demon's facade collapses as his arms seek to wrap me in his affection. Warmth seeping into my very bones as the depths of despair wish to swallow me whole.

"Oh, my darling..." He croaks as an unknown substance rolls down my cheek. A tear made of blood.

Intertwining as they fall from a face of despair.

My shock is muted, but the blood's presence only grows more alarming the more drops followed the first.

"I'm...I'm crying?" Sebastian mutters to himself in utter disbelief, his empathy for my heartbreak becoming strong enough to cause his first tears.

"Yes...blood."

"I've never-"

"I know..." Guilt begins to burrow into my soul as I realise the emotional pain I am putting him through. And yet, I can't help but feel as though I have lost a vital piece of myself. I can no longer use the "evil nobleman" as a shield to hide behind.

I'm defenceless.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Three hours later

I awake to the gentle brush of gloves hands against my skin, kind lips blessing my cheek with their touch.

And yet, I feel empty.

As though a hole was left in my heart that no amount of sleep could fill.

I wish to feel the rush of adrenaline. To feel like I'm high.

As I stare out of the french doors to my balcony, I am drawn to the ledge.

I wish to jump.

"Do you feel any better after resting?"

"A little but...I have an idea to push it all the way. You have to trust me though."

"Of course I trust you!" He exclaims, laughing at the mere assumption that he wouldn't trust me.