Chapter 36: Fallout

Stay calm, this is not the time or place for such an outburst. I deserve to feel as happy as I was when I waltzed inside those doors and I will be. No matter how badly it hurts.

"You know Sieg, Lizzy is staying in the Manor permanently...if you wish, I would love to have you stay as...France is so very far away and we miss you dreadfully." I explain in a dramatic way, hoping to receive a yes. Although, what I get is far more than I desired.

"I would love to! May I stay with Lizzy in her quarters?! Wi-With her permission of course..."

"Of course I want to! I missed seeing you every single day when the Queen sent you to live with her extended family in France!"

They're falling into my plans far too easily.

"Then it's settled, we shall have Lord and Lady Pembrooke send your possessions to the Manor and I will write a letter to the Queen to inform her personally." That's when the excited squeals began.

I used to despise the screeching of the ladies I sit across from, used to loathe their company due to it. And now, I don't mind.

Because it's caused by a very good reason.

Sebastian feigns curiosity at their blatant joy as he takes the seat beside me. His fingers to easily sliding into mine and as I look into those eyes...the thoughts begin to creep back into existence.

What if he holds a hand so delicately with another?

No...No don't do this to yourself...

"What have I missed?" He asks, faking intrigue, already having heard our conversation in it's entirety from across the room.

"Sieglinde has decided to live with me in the Manor! Isn't that just incredible Sebastian?!" Elizabeth answered with burning enthusiasm, fireworks in her eyes as she celebrates with her long lost friend.

"That is indeed incredible! Congratulations, we'll be lucky to have you here!"

The way Elizabeth gazes at Sieglinde sent another wave of despair through me. Cracking my very core as I squeeze Sebastian's hand, silently begging for a relief that I am unsure if he can give me.

Will he look into the eyes of others the same as Elizabeth looks into Sieglinde's once my eyes have turned glassy?

Stop it-

Will he touch others as tenderly as he did the night you asked him to marry you?

Please-

Will his lip roam every inch of their body as they do yours?

Enough, I beg of you-

Will he tell them how much he loves them?

God! Please-!

Will he burn you just like they burned your parents?

N O-