Part 110: As Time Goes On

Ciel's POV:

Shivers run down my spine as I approach the tombstone's of my parents and myself, I will never get used to seeing my own name on a grave. Eliza's hand firmly grips mine as our children follow my lead. Flowers in hand I lay them in front of my parents' resting places, kneeling to face their names directly, as though they were seeing through the stone itself. Rays of sunshine beam down upon us as my husband kneels at my side, holding our sleeping newborn in his arms. The babe snoozing peacefully as Sebastian carefully positions her to face the stones.

"I know you may be watching over us, but I wanted to formally introduce your new grandchild. Thalia, her name is Thalia. Our newest addition to the family you created and fostered great love for." I take a deep steadying breath, preparing for the words I struggle with most, "I wish you were here in person to see her, to see us, but this should be enough..." Our presence should be enough.

My hand glides across the stone, wishing desperately to feel them close one last time. For the ghosts of their memory are the only type of presence they will ever have in my eternal existence. No longer would death lead to their embrace, simply the embrace of eternal darkness. Watching my family grow and change has been all they will ever be able to do. My existence will never end, though my children may choose to allow their lives to end naturally. To find themselves in the presence of grandparents they never knew.

But, dear Mother, you've been watching us from the beginning. Haven't you? Since the moment I fought against Sebastian's desperation to see me survive the depression I was trapped within. Stuck in torment as I tried and failed to get revenge for your murder, you watched as the man who took care of me all this time hid his love for me. As I fell foolishly, deeply in love and attempted so desperately to hide it. As I finally let go of my hatred, my fear, my need to end an existence I believed was fruitless. You witnessed my firsts. My first kiss, first love, first child. The first time I learned of my father's infidelity. The first time I finally smiled, truly smiled after your passing. You witnessed it all.

I may not know how you've viewed it. From a window in the heaven you've always deserved a seat in, from a pane of glass, from inside my own head? It doesn't matter how you've seen my life since your passing. For you see, while my most important memories are on display there is a lot more I didn't let you see. Or at least, I hope you haven't peaked.

The last thing you saw was the day I introduced my Thalia but that isn't the present. My children's privacy is important to me, you know. You may see me in my most...vulnerable moments but my girls and little boy will choose when to open their minds to you.

Eliza is now twenty, hard to believe I know. My little girl now the most promising business associate I've ever seen. With an unrivalled understanding of our company. Astre's teens are indeed rough but he's managing well considering how supportive his Father has been throughout his struggles with boyhood.

Thalia? She is following in the footsteps of her role model. The infamous Matron Midford herself. She has shown a love for medicine, more importantly a love for her patients. Learning at the orphanage, Thalia has helped more than a few children at her young age, yet she still aspires to be the youngest physician known to Britain. Aspiration seems to be in our family's genes.

Elizabeth and Finnian became husband as wife when Thalia was only five years old, the "right time" never seemed to come as they found themselves constantly overrun with keeping a functioning orphanage and campaigning for the rights of the child, hoping that one day soon children could be free of the substance abuse that has become far too commonplace.

You see, the Phantomhives have created a legacy you could only dream of. Your life, though cut short, created an empire of bright young men and women who carry your heart wherever they tread.

And while you await whatever children decide to join you in the afterlife, you may watch them do greater things than we both could ever have thought possible for them. Watch them find their great love, their happy endings. For now, I leave you to enjoy eternity in the arms of the man I dared to love.

I promise to continue making you proud of what we achieve together, as time goes on.