Chapter 9: Rough Nights

I wake up to my own screams echoing within my bed chamber. Climbing out of bed in a cold sweat, panicked breathing, heart racing, mind spiralling I run to the door. Down the stairs, through the hallways. I run. And I only stop when I reach that door. Sebastian's door. I swing it open to find him jumping up from resting position.

"Bocchan?"

"S-Sebastian I-....."

I stand there shaking with adrenaline in nothing but a nightshirt that used to be a part of Sebastian's wardrobe. Unable to speak I stand.

Why did I even come here? Why did I run here? I can't explain it even to myself. How am I supposed to say a word to him?

Without a word he lifts me into his arms, stroking my hair so gently.

If only I could breathe. I'd be able to enjoy it.

"Bocchan can you hear me?" He asks so softly into my ear, so close that his lips touch the shell of it. All I can do to respond is grab onto him. Onto something.

My hand crumpled his shirt beneath it as my vision begins to blur. The ghosts of my parents keeping my eyes wide open yet they don't see a thing.

Breathe. Breathe. Breathe.

The last thing I hear is the sound of Sebastian muttering something sweetly into my ear as the world around me fades into darkness.

One Hour Later

My eyes flutter open to the gentle stroking of my slate hair and the kind smile of the man I have known for so long.

"Feeling better, Bocchan?" He asks, his fingers lightly trailing down to brush against my cheek. I grunt before I try to speak, taking a deep breath in. "Better."

He lets out a chuckle as he continues to caress my cheek, trying to keep me calm. Or at least I assume that is what he is doing. A warm, fuzzy feeling that I cannot name grows in my chest as I gaze into the other man's crimson eyes.

"I was worried that you would take longer to regain consciousness. Do you remember what happened before you fainted?"

"I was...running..." My eyebrows knit together as I try to remember past events. "I was scared...confused."

"You had a nightmare that triggered a panic attack, you ran in here and fainted in my arms."

I don't understand why, but my cheeks grow red as he tells me where I fainted.

"It has been an hour since you passed out."

"You have been here, stroking my hair for an hour?"

"Yes, my Lord. I thought it would be the kindest way to awaken you." Something tells me that he isn't telling the whole story, a half-truth that can pass through that part of the contract.

"I'm exhausted..." I announce with a weary sigh.

"I'm sure you are my Lord. Shall I leave you to your sweet dreams?" He asks tenderly. Dare I say, lovingly.

"No! Please stay with me...even after I fall asleep..." I add quickly, lazily lifting my hand up to hold his as he cradles my cheek with the other.

"Yes, my Lord."