Keep Being Blind

Kayden was put into a holding cell with ten different people and sat on the ground, against a concrete wall with his arms folded. He hated everyone and everything at the moment and he had a long wait as the police questioned Gavin. Kayden kept his head down and didn't look at anyone. He wasn' interested in anyone's story or anyone who asked why he was here. There was no clock in sight so Kayden guessed it was around six. He had been answering questions for an hour and he hoped the answers he gave were good enough to get him off the hook. Kayden put his head against the cold wall and closed his eyes. His anger was wearing him out. 

After another half an hour of waiting, an officer finally came to collect him. Kayden stood up and saw Bridget with a wound over her forehead, where Gavin had hit her this morning. "Let's go home", Bridget said, in a calm tone. Kayden learned the charges had been dropped and Gavin was being charged with domestic abuse. Kayden could breathe again. They started walking home from the police station and Bridget totally flipped. "You know", she started, seething with anger, "Gavin was bringing in good money with his band". Kayden laughed, "Mom", he began, "His band sucked and you know it". Bridget wasn't winning, her son had done a good thing for her but they now had no one bringing in money. "You are not coming home", Bridget said, stopping in the middle of the side-walk. Kayden was tired, angry and just wanted to get this over with. "Some thanks", he said, flipping her off and walking in the other direction. Kayden was sleeping rough tonight. It was too kate to go to Olivia and bother her. He found a sheltered place by the school and sat there for the rest of the day. He hoped the morning would come quick.