Chapter 15

Chapter 15

The old church looked like it was stripped off an 18th century catalog with its thick brick walls and faded stones. A huge cross sat atop and looks like it has seen better days welcomes the worshippers and churchgoers. As soon as I stepped out of the car, I could smell the soft, wet grass from the torential rain that had thundered all night.

I turned to Blake, smiling.

"Dito tayo magpapakasal?"

He was staring at the church too with his serious eyes before he gazed at me. A faint smile touched his lips. I could see the fatigue from driving all night long trying to find the nearest church that would wed us and now that we've arrived at our destination, the glint in his eyes never faded. It only gleamed brighter.

Malambing niyang kinuha ang kamay ko at hinapit ako papalapit sa kaniya saka hinalikan ang noo ko.

"Kung ayos lang sa iyo..." he murmured against my skin.

I chuckled. "I'm not even wearing a dress!"

Blake pulled me towards the church, randomly plucking the lovely red flower from the bushes and placing it on my hair.

"Doesn't matter. You look exquisite." He assured me with and gave my hand a quick squeeze.

We entered the empty church and glanced around. Even the cleaners are still not here yet. I glanced at my wristwatch. It is still 5 in the morning and I'm marrying the man I'm inlove with.

"Ang aga natin, ah."

We turned and saw a kind-looking priest smiling as he walked towards us, wearing his white robe. He had a small bible clutched tightly to his wrinkled hands. The lines in his eyes didn't make him look older but...kinder.

"Father, magpapakasal po kami." determinadong wika ni Blake.

He looked at us in surprise. "Ngayon na?"

"Kung hindi po kayo busy, Father, hindi na po kasi ako makapaghintay eh." Blake kidded and I almost smacked him in the head.

The old priest studied the two of us curiously. I smiled awkwardly at him while Blake is eagerly waiting for his reply. Something flashed in his eyes, then he relaxed and smiled.

"Bueno, magsimula na tayo kung ganun."

My heart feels like it's going to explode in too much joy. There was no one inside the church but the three of us and he agreed to conduct the ceremony. The happiness in our eyes reflected on his as he nodded and went to the altar to prepare some things. Ako naman ay lumabas at inayos ang sarili sa huling pagkakataon.

"Patatawarin naman siguro ako ng Panginoon, wedding day ko naman ngayon," I said to myself while plucking out the beautiful flowers that lined in the edges of the church. Blake is already there, waiting for me.

I took a deep breath and held the flowers in my hand, I entered the church. This is a far cry from the fairytale wedding I've always imagined since I was a child but I couldn't be more happy when I saw Blake waiting for me at the altar. I saw that the kind priest had pulled some of the church staff to bear witness of our simple wedding. The church bell rang and echoed around the place as I strode towards the altar with a huge smile on my face. Nakatingin naman sa akin ang tatlong madre na halatang kakagising lang at dalawang taga-linis.

When I reached Blake's side, I smiled at him and winked. He chuckled and pulled me closer as we both faced the priest.

The priest started with the reading of the Liturgy and then proceeded to the rite of marriage where we faced each other to exchange our vows. We both came here with nothing, unprepared, but deep in our hearts we know this is the best thing to happen.