Chapter 37 - Safe and Sound

"You have to make them let Bakugo go!" You pleaded with your father, tugging at his sleeve to urge him into looking into your grief stricken eyes. "They won't listen to me but they have to listen to you!"

He cracked half a smile. "I'm glad you think that your old man has so much power. But it's not that simple, kid."

"Why not?" you asked exasperated. Facade opened the bedroom door with a sigh, holding the door open and urging you inside. 

"Shigaraki is never going to change his mind," he explained. "He's had his eye on Bakugo ever since the UA sports festival which I'm kinda upset you didn't take part in. You would've taken all those spoiled kids with your quirk."

"Yeah well, I had my reasons for not participating," you muttered. "It just still doesn't make sense. Sure, he's got a powerful quirk but if you have me then what's the big deal?"

"He knows you have the potential to be powerful but he sees that potential in Bakugo as well. I know this might be a bit too much for you to understand right away...but I would just go with the flow for now," he suggested. He quickly decided to change the subject before you could press the matter further. "What of you think of the place by the way?" 

You looked around the room taking note of the pink bedsheets and the white laced curtains by the window. You stepped further into the room, stepping onto the fuzzy circular white carpet that was in the center. It was certainly not the type of room fitted for a grown man. 

You turned to father who looked at you with hopeful eyes. 

"It's cute," you acknowledged. He breathed a sigh of relief, happy to hear that you approved of the place. It was a little kiddish in appearance compared to your room back the facility, but it wasn't like you were staying here. 

Or....

"I'm glad you like it."

"Um, why? This is just the guest room, right?" you asked, hoping your voice didn't give away how nervous you were. 

He flopped onto the bed with a smile, resting his arms behind his head. "Sweetie, this will be your new room!" he declared happily. He sat up in bed, leaning on his elbows as he awaited to hear your response. 

"....What?"

"It's your new room!" he repeated again. "Toga picked out the carpet and curtains. She said the bedsheets I got were a little babyish but I've seen the collection of stuffed animals she keeps hidden." 

The room felt like it was spinning. Were you hearing him correctly? This was your room now? That meant he truly intended on keeping you with him. Did he not understand that you were going to UA and working hard to become a pro hero? 

On one hand you were glad your father was alive. On the other hand, you were beginning to think perhaps it was okay if he stayed alive and just never came looking for you. 

"I-"you paused. What would he do if he knew that you didn't want to stay with him? Would it anger him? You didn't think he would he would punish you but you had a feeling he wouldn't understand and insist that you stay with him. You'll just have to wait All Might to arrive. "I have some questions."

"I know you do," he nodded understandably. "And I'm happy to answer any of them."

"Why did you join the League? I mean, I know it's obvious considering who you were, er- are. But you and mom always ran solo."

"It's true we did run solo," he murmured. "We hopped from one group to another occasionally if we had to. That's what caused most of the problems. Gangs would get mad that we wouldn't stay with them forever and think we'd betrayed them or something. So sensitive for wanted criminals."