Chapter 30 - Damned Reporters

"Look it's her," a girl across the hall whispered to her friend.

"Can you believe Todoroki is actually dating her?" 

It was the next day and you were unfortunately back in school where apparently everyone had seen you on the news. You were mortified to say the least. Your appearance on national television only lasted for a few minutes, but suddenly everyone claimed they knew you just from a one minute clip. Some gossiped behind your back, whispering about how they betted that you set up the fire as a publicity stunt. You just found it all to be ridiculous.

Your classmates turned out to be more understanding than you thought and didn't believe the silly rumors. Well, Bakugo had tried to annoy you about it but eventually backed down when you snapped back at him. Now it was lunch time and you finally had the opportunity to speak with your boyfriend. 

"He can definitely do much better than her," the first girl snidely commented. 

You glared at the girls across the hall, who pretended like they weren't just talking about you.

"If you have something to say then say it to my face," you scowled. 

The first girl looked at you surprised, turning to her friend as if to say, "can you believe her?" She faced you with a fake smile on her lips. "You might have other people in this school scared, but you don't scare me. Hopefully Todoroki wakes up and realizes he shouldn't bother being around some wannabe hero like yourself."

You stared at them in disbelief. 

Did this bitch really just?

"Hey, why don't you leave her alone and mind your own business?" Tsu said. She had overhead the small altercation the three of you were having and stepped out of the classroom to intervene. "You're just jealous Todoroki doesn't even know who you are."

"S-Shut up!" the girl stammered flustered. 

"Ugh, whatever let's just go," her friend huffed. 

She dragged her embarrassed friend away from you. You were glad they didn't try to push the matter even further because a part of you felt like you would've really snapped at them had they kept pushing your buttons.

"Thanks Tsu," you mumbled, dejected. "I honestly don't know what I would've said to them after that."

"It's no problem, (Name). Some people can really be jerks," she scoffed. "But are you okay? Those girls were a little rude."

"Yeah...I think I'll be fine. Same shit that I'm used to dealing with. I'll see you in the cafeteria, I'm just waiting for Shoto."

Tsu nodded. "Alright, I'll see you there, (Name)."

While everyone else headed towards the cafeteria, you hung back by the classroom to wait for your boyfriend to come out. Todoroki soon stepped out, smiling once he saw you. That damned smile could make your heart melt any day, but today it just wasn't doing the trick. 

"Hey, you okay?" Shoto asked. "You seem upset."

"Um, sort of," you shrugged. "It's no big deal but these dumb girls earlier were just talking about me and well...." You sighed, feeling silly for even letting this get to you but it did. "Clearly everyone in school thinks that Shoto Todoroki shouldn't be dating someone like me."

He furrowed his brows confused. "Well then whoever says that is an idiot. I like you, (Name). No matter what anyone says, I want to be with you."

"I know....it's just so frustrating having so many people gossip about me."