Chapter 23 - What's in a Name

"Alright, class settle down." Midnight slapped her riding crop across the board, her sapphire eyes scanning the classroom with a cheeky grin before grabbing a piece of a chalk. The chalk glided across the board with every letter until the lesson for the day was written out.

Hero Names!

The classroom erupted in excited murmurs and gasps. Your eyes widened at the statement. Had it been time to pick hero names already? You never thought about it before. You had inherited your mothers quirk so perhaps you could try to incorporate something Blood like she had. However, you were also worried that the public would scrutinize your hero name and assume you were turning into the villain they knew you would be. It felt like a lose-lose situation. 

But I can't hold back. I need to stop caring about what other people think about me.

Professor Aizawa climbed into his sleeping bag that was propped underneath the chalk board. "Make sure you guys don't let some idiot friend pick out your name for you," he yawned. "Your hero names will stick with you for life." With that he zipped up his sleeping bag and got some shut eye.

"I agree with Mr. Aizawa!" Midnight grinned. "A hero name is something that defines you. It's what your future fans and civilians will come to know you as. To reiterate, a hero name is very impactful on your social image and is something you should put great thought behind." She proceeded to hand out a bunch of small white erase boards. "By the end of this lesson, I hope all of you will have decided a name for yourselves."

  You grabbed an erase board for yourself before passing another one behind. You stared at the white board, it's emptiness taunting you. You had zero clue on what your hero name should be. It looked like you weren't alone at least as several of your classmates blankly stared back at their boards. In fact, Midoriya was constantly erasing and re-writing several different names for himself. You glanced over at Iida, who had a stone cold expression on his face. His brother was doing much better but still recovering in the hospital. Iida of course was still going through a lot mentally and emotionally. Even if he didn't want to admit it to anyone.

"What name are you going to pick, (Name)?" Tsu asked curiously.

You let out a heavy sigh. "I have no freaking clue. This is gonna be a lot harder than I thought."

Todoroki who was nearby turned to flash a small smile. "I'm sure you'll be able to think of something." 

"Thanks you guys," you mumbled shyly. 

You uncapped the black marker and brought it up to the board, stopping just before the marker could hit it. You were genuinely stuck and didn't know what to write. 

"I have a name," Bakugo announced. He got up from his seat, slamming the chair back against his desk. His heavy footsteps made its away to the podium in the front of the classroom before showing off his new hero name to the rest of the class. "King Explosion Murder." He had usual threatening glare on. 

"I'm gonna say that ones a little too violent," Midnight remarked. 

"HUH? WHAT DO YOU MEAN?" Bakugo roared.

"Why don't you be Explosion Boy?" Kirishima suggested. 

"SHUT UP WEIRD HAIR."

You and your fellow classmates giggled at their altercation. Midnight sent Bakugo back to his seat to think of another name. 

"Ribbit!" Tsu raised her hand. "I think I've got one. Is it okay if I go up next?"

"Come on up!" Midnight encouraged.