Chapter 13 - Lucky

Once Todoroki had left the room, you found yourself sitting up in bed with Goliath and Miss Eiko, from the lab, by your side. The room had an odd tension. Goliath was sitting back in his seat with his arms crossed over his chest, sending a shifty glance towards Eiko who sat poised with her legs crossed. She had a clipboard on her lap which had a copy of your medical records that you eyed curiously.

She looked up at you with a small smile, and clicked her pen. "So, let's get started, shall we?"

"What do you need to know?" you asked quizzically.

"I want to get a more in depth psychological view of what happened. Numbers and statistics are great and all but we can't simply toss your mind out of the equation," she explained.

"Okay, I guess that makes sense..."

"So, it says here that before you once stated how it hurt whenever you tried to use your quirk. Was that still the case when you used your quirk to attack that man?"

You swallowed a hard lump in your throat. You didn't want to remember what had happened, but you had no choice. She was going to be very straightforward with you, you could tell, and you didn't want to end up saying something that you would regret later.

Nonetheless you were going to answer as best as you could.

"Surprisingly, it didn't hurt as much as it used to. I think I felt maybe a slight sting but other than that, I was fine. I could get through the pain no problem."

"I see," she nodded. "And what were your feelings during the attack? How did you get yourself to the point where you knew you wanted to use your quirk?"

You licked your dry lips. Your hands began to fiddle with your bedsheets. "I felt.... powerful? Unstoppable? Like why was I holding back for so long? I rationalized my thoughts by thinking I had been caged my whole life and not allowed to live because of where I came from. It made me feel angry and then suddenly...I lashed out."

She scribbled something down in her clipboard for a while. Goliath tried to lean back further in his seat to peak, but she quickly covered her paper and turned her attention back to you.

"You felt anger?" she asked curiously.

       Strangely enough, there was a slight sparkle in her eyes.

"Uh, yes...?" you answered confused. "I felt all this repressed anger just come out. I didn't really feel like I was myself to be honest. I felt like I was an entirely different person...." you trailed off, your eyes looking away.

Goliath sat up in his seat. "Look are you done with your questions yet? She wants to know if she's going to be punished for what's happened."

Miss Eiko's pen quickly and efficiently checked off some things on her list before turning her attention towards you. She had a gentle smile on her face. "I would say we are finished, for now. Since this is your first offense, nothing drastic will be happening however, you will be "checked in" on by myself several times per month in the span of six months." She waited for you to say something, anything, but your mouth just dropped open. So, she continued her protocol quickly. "This is just the procedure," she proceeded to explain.

"Still isn't this much?" Goliath said, speaking your own words. He looked just as taken aback as you. Miss Eiko yet again, smiled.

"Like I said, this just the procedure. We want to make sure that you're stable as well as make sure none of these villains are going to be coming back to hurt you. This is only fair considering what we're doing for you," she stated matter-of-fact.

"And what exactly are you doing for me?" you asked hesitant. You were scared of what contract you had accidentally signed yourself into.

Her smile grew. "We've worked things out with the police who were given enough information about your condition so, now you're not in any legal troubles. Also, we've been in contact with your school and in order to avoid you being expelled, we've agreed to a five day suspension."

"Oh no," you groaned. "I'm gonna be missing out on so much stuff."

"And," she continued. "You will not be allowed to compete in the hero's tournament."

She let it sink in. Goliath froze in his seat, his eyes slowly looking over to you to see your expression. The longest minute had passed before you spoke.

"...That's fair," you said solemnly.

You knew this was going to be the best course of action. How could you expect to perform your skills in a stadium filled with hundreds of people? After what had recently happened, it would be a big mistake on your part to throw a tantrum over it. Everyone was already stricken with fear from your recent incident, you didn't need to give them a reminder as to why they should be even more afraid. As much as it pained you to think all you could do was cheer on your friends from the sidelines, at least you still had hope of a semi normal life.

Hopefully.....

"Are you sure about this?" Goliath snapped you out of your thoughts. He placed a hand on your shoulder and turned you to look at him. He looked very worried for you. Up close, you noticed the dark circles underneath his eyes. He was worrying way too much about you. "This tournament is a pretty big thing for your school and kids like you. I don't want you to regret this and not participate in it."

"I'm like the other kids," you stated coldly. You tightened your upper lip. "This is for the best. The whole point of going to this school is just trying to gain a normal life and maybe learn about my quirk along the way, that's all."

Goliath let his hand drop with a sigh. He folded his arms over his chest and looked out the window to clear his head.

"I'm glad you agree," Miss Eiko complimented. "Not like you had a choice anyways." She got up from her seat and smoothed out the wrinkles in her skirt. "I will be back to see you before the end of this month. I'm sure the hospital has already told you you're going to be discharged in three days so rest up."

"Thanks...." She left your room without another word. "....I guess?"

You let out a heavy sigh as you fell back against your pillow, strands of your hair flying away from your face as you did so. Everything felt like a huge blur to you. Sure things could be worse but then again things always felt like they were getting worse at every turn. You slowly lifted your hand to your face. Your eyes followed every faint line and curve in the palm of your hand. It is said that each line holds a significant detail of your life and you wonder, where do your heart lines lead? You let your hand drop to your side with a thud and the sound echoed in your mind as you desperately try to sound out the frustrated screams in your head.

~~~~~~~~

I am so sorry for just disappearing and leaving you guys on a cliff hanger. It is the one thing I hate the most when I'm reading something so I understand if you guys wanna attack me for it T~T
Honestly, since I'm writing from my phone this isn't always so easy to do. This chapter was a little short and as you read, since reader isn't going to be in the tournament, I'm most likely going to skip over that and focus on the aftermath. I do have a lot of ideas for this story as it isn't following the anime to a T at all but at the same time I don't want to write like 50 chapters for this because somewhere I'm going to lose what I initially intended to write. Hopefully, I'll update soon.

Thank you for those who continued to support me despite me being a deadbeat!