Chapter 29 - To the Rescue

Okay just breathe. You got this.

"Vermillion?" Goliath addressed you by your hero name. You were now both walking around in the city, just patrolling the area to make sure that everything was alright in the neighborhood. It was quite obvious how nervous you were with how stiff you were walking. "You okay, kid?"

"Who, me? Yeah, totally fine, heh," you chuckled anxiously.

You readjusted the mask that covered your mouth. At least your face wasn't completely visible. No one would know that it was you walking through the streets. Still, every time a civilian glanced your way you felt like running and hiding.

"Who's that guy?" a woman whispered to her friend. "He looks kinda cute huh?"

Unbeknownst to him, Goliath was acting as the perfect distraction.

"I know," her friend whispered back.  "Who do you think the kid is? Never seen her before..."

You began to pick up the pace, Goliath taking a few extra steps to catch up with you. You didn't like overhearing others trying to piece together who you were. Because you had missed out on the UA sports festival, the news focused on reporting more on your classmates rather than you. Something that you wanted to keep that way. 

Then there was the added factor that no one had seen you in your new hero costume. Just Todoroki, Goliath, and Eiko. So for now, your identity was safe.

"Kid, relax. We're just doing some light patrolling. There's no guarantee that something bad is going to happen today," Goliath pointed out. 

"You don't know that," you muttered. "And it's not like I'm nervous about facing another villain. I'm getting quite used to it actually since they kinda pity me because of my mom?"

"Right...your mom," Goliath murmured to himself. "So what are you scared of anyways?"

"People," you answered with a shudder. "All these civilians want a hero right? They want to feel safe. But will they feel so safe when they know it's me that's patrolling these streets? I have good reason to suspect that they won't."

"I know at your school they put emphasis on the people and to always smile for them, but sometimes, they don't even know what they want. As long as you do your best to save the day, you're already a good hero in my book." 

Whatever you say.

You stayed silent, focusing on the road ahead. At least it was a nice sunny day and you could look forward to seeing Todoroki later. You were just getting comfortable walking around the city with Goliath until a loud explosion was heard down the block.

Countless of panicked civilians screamed in fear and began running away. Goliath looked at you momentarily before sprinting to action, with you not too far behind. Your heart was pounding in your chest. Could it be another League attack? Or another Nomu attack? You weren't sure but you knew that you just needed to help in any way that you could.

When you turned the corner, you were surprised to see an office building with the top floor on fire. There were several civilians on the sidelines already alerting the authorities however, who knows how long that would take. 

Goliath approached an office worker who looked quite overwhelmed.  Tears streamed down her soot covered cheeks and her friend was doing her best to comfort her.

"M'am, what happened?" Goliath asked. 

"I-I don't know!" she wailed. "There was just this big explosion on the top floor and we all rushed out as fast as we could. Please sir, you have to find my friend, Yui. I can't find her anywhere!"