11

Vanessa's p.o.v*

      I have a trial in less than a day. A smile creeps on my face as flashbacks of our bae-cation comes across my mind. Someone clears his throat. And of course, it had to be him.

''Ahem! I know you're crazy about him but you focus now''

I shrug. ''Sure''

I look over at him.''Caleb, you found anthing yet?''

Like I said, we have a trial in two days. My client's husband was found dead in his study. A lot of fingerprints were found and the police obviously assumed she killed him.

''I've got the security tapes from the night of the murder...''

Caleb opens the footage and I sit next to him to observe closely. I see Heather, my client, walking out of the kitchen with a piece of paper like a grocery list. She runs to her car and drives off. Ten minutes later, Jason, her husband walks into the kitchen and makes himself a cup of coffee. He gets a call and walks to his study.

Forwarding...

Gabrielle, his daughter, walks into the study. It seems she's arguing with her dad over something. Within a few minutes, she bolts out of his study. I notice she was wearing black leather gloves. An hour later, Heather comes home. She places the grocery in the kitchen and immediately walks into the study. She shrieks and calls the police.

''That's all we needed to see'', Caleb states while making a copy of the video.

The door swings open and Mr. Jacobs walks in. ''And how's the case so far?''

''It was Gabrielle not Heather''

''I knew it'', he coaks. ''I'm gonna leave you two to work''

''Okay sir'', Caleb says. Mr. Jacobs walks out of my office.

''Well, there's nothing more to do here. I'm gonna inform the lawyer that we're ready for the case'', Caleb tells me.

''Alright. I'll work on the opening statement and the evidence'', I say.

''Okay'' He shrugs and walks out. I giggle. Exhausted, I stretch and sigh.

* * *

*Day of the trial*

      It takes me fifteen minutes to get to the city council. I find a decent parking spot and hop out of my car. Mr. Jacobs and Caleb wait for me outside the court house. We exchange greetings and walk in together. The court is in session as the judge walks in. I give Heather an ''everything will be fine'' smile. She smiles back. Everyone is gestured to take their seats as the judge begins.

Judge Graham, ''May I hear the opening statements from both parties?''

The prosecutor stands up. ''Your honour, the prosecution is here to prove that Mrs. Ronold...'' pointing to Heather, ''...killed her husband in cold blood just to gain his inheritance. After you all hear my arguments, you'll all agree with me and convict her''

Judge Graham, ''Thank you Mr. Froy. Now, Miss Miller?''

I get up. ''Your honour, my client here has been charged for the murder of her husband but I'm here to prove otherwise. And after I'm done presenting my substantial evidence, you will dismiss my client''.

''You may present your argument Mr Froy''. He nods and stands in front of us all.

''Your honour, on the 17th of July 2020, Mr. Ronald was found dead in his home. The only person at the crime scene was Mrs. Ronald. All the evidence points to her. And if I may, I'd like to call a witness. Miss Gabrielle Ronald''. All eyes turn to Gabrielle as she takes a stand. As she does, she glares at Heather.

''Miss Gabrielle, how would you describe Mrs. Ronald's relationship with your father?''

''Just like any normal couple...'', she shrugs. ''...well, until they began arguing all the time. It got really physical sometimes. I feared that she'd kill my father''

I hear gasps from the jury.

''So do you think she had something to do with his death?''

''Yes. She even threatened to take all my money as soon as my father died''

''There will be no more questions''. Gabrielle walks back to her seat.

''Miss Miller?''

I nod and present my argument.

''I'd like to call my witness, Mrs Ronald''. Heather takes her stand.

''Mrs. Ronald, how would you describe your relationship with your deceased husband?''

''We were very happy. We never had any problems till lately. Gabrielle, his daughter kept complaining about everything. Whenever I'd try to talk to her, she'd blame me for her father's scoldings''

''Do you believe she'd be capable of killing her own father to get rid of you?''

''I'm not sure''

''Your honour, I have evidence that I'd like for you to watch''. Caleb passes a copy of the video to me. The court clerk plays the video. Everone gasps loudly as they watch the video. They all turn to Gabrielle.

''This proves that Miss Ronald killed her own father. There will be no more questions''. Heather walks back to her seat.

''With the evidence provided today I dismiss Mrs. Ronald of all charges. Miss Gabrielle on the other hand would be arrested and sentenced to twenty years in prison for second degree murder of Mr. Ronald. Court is adjourned'', he says and walks out.

''All rise''

The police handcuffs Gabrielle and takes her away. Heather hugs me thanking me. I high-five Caleb

* * *
Nessa is a badass lawyer right? 😚✌🏼
Next update soon.

Don't vote to comment and vote