Chapter 5

*Vanessa's p.o.v*

          Raymond and I have been together for the past two months. I think I've found Mr. Right. I'm always happy and worry free when I'm around him but that's not the case today. Today is the day that I will be defending Yinka in court. I feel nervous because Jay is a very cunning man. Raymond sees the worry in my eyes and consoles me.
       ''Nessa, calm down. Everything will be alright. You've never lost a case before...'', I cut him off.

       ''That's what I'm afraid of''

       ''...and besides, you have all the evidence you need. Jay will lose and not you''

       ''You think so?'', I nervously ask.

       ''I know so''

       ''Thank you for being here with me''

       ''No problem. I will always be here for you''

After our talk, we walk into the court room. I sit at the opposition section with Yinka, Caleb and Mr. Jacobs. Raymond sits behind me. The judge walks in and takes his seat.
       ''Good day ladies and gentlemen. You may take your seats''

       ''Thank you'', we all say in a chorus.

       ''We're all here to discover the truth behind the murder of Mr. Mayers, the butler of Jay Richson. Let's hear from the prosecutors'', the judge says and I walk up to him.

       ''Your honour, the defendant may be my ex-fiance but I still chose to defend the plaintiff, Yinka'', I state.

       ''That's very professional of you. You may continue'', the judge permits me to continue with my complaint.

       ''According to Miss Yinka, Mr. Richson employed her as a maid but he crossed the line. He forced himself on her and made her his lover. She had been abused for a long time. Your honour, at this point, I'll like to invite Miss Yinka to the stand'', I seek permission from the judge.

       ''Permission granted'', the judge says and Yinka walks to the witness box.

       ''Yinka, you were once the maid of Mr. Richson until he took your vulnerability for granted...'', my statement is interrupted by Jay's lawyer.

       ''Objection! Your honour, the attorney is pressing the witness'

       ''Overruled. Miss Miller, proceed'', the judge says.

       ''Thank you, your honour. As I was saying, did he sexually abuse you?'', I ask Yinka.

       ''Yes''

       ''Can you narrate what you remember happened on the day of the murder?''
Yinka narrates how Jay asked her to help put the trash which was very heavy in the car trunk. She tells the jury how she went back to the trunk to open the bag only to find Mr. Mayers body. Yinka also explains how she escaped from Jay. She even shows the court the injuries she sustained when a car hit her as she was fleeing from Jay. There is a lot of commotion in the court.

       ''Order in this court!'', the judge commands.

       ''Miss Miller, you may take your seat. So is Miss Yinka'', he says and I walk back to my seat. So does Yinka.

       ''Now the defence can make their stand''

Jay is called by his lawyer. I'm so shocked by the answers he gives. He denies everything. He insists that some robbers killed the butler when they invaded his house.
       ''I don't buy this one bit', Mr. Jacob says.

       ''Neither do I'', Raymond agrees with him.

       ''Are you sure of what you're saying?'', the judge asks Jay.

       ''I swear'', Jay lies.

       ''That's enough. You may take your seat Mr. Richson'', the judge says and Jay walks to his seat.

       ''The jury and I would deliberate on the verdict. We would be with you shortly'', he says and dismisses the court.
Raymond walks to me and gives me a peck.

       ''Don't worry, you will surely win this case like you always do'', he assures me.

       ''I hope so''

       ''Let's hope for the best'', Mr. Jacobs says.

After fifteen minutes, the judge calls us back in. The judge takes his seat and proceeds with the verdict.
       ''In the case of Mr. Richson as...'', the judge begins but is interrupted by Raymond.

       ''Your honour, I have evidence of the murder. A few days ago, Mr. Richson sent me some disturbing images and texts. I would like for you to see''

       ''Theodore, can you get that for me?'', the judge asks the court cop. Raymond's phone is taken and the clerk projects the texts and images for everyone to see. I was so lost.

       ''Young man, thank you for this wonderful piece of evidence. You may take your seat'', the judge says and Raymond sits down.

       ''Now, the verdict. Mr. Jay Richson, in the case of the murder of Mr. Mayers and the attempted murder of Mr. Raymond, the jury and I hereby declare you guilty of all charges. You are hereby sentenced to thirty-eight years in prison'', the judge announces and I'm so relieved. The court is dismissed. The police handcuffs Jay who is now crying. His lawyer looks dumbfounded by the verdict.

       ''You can't do this to me! Let me go''
Raymond walks to me and gives me a hug. Tears of joy run down my cheeks.

       ''I told you you'd win'', Raymond tells me.

       ''Why didn't you tell me about the texts?'', I confront him.

       ''I'm sorry. I didn't want to get you worried''

       ''Don't do that to me again''

       ''I promise'', he says and kisses my forehead.

       ''Victory is ours again'', Caleb jubilates.

       ''Vanessa, thank you for everything'', Yinka thanks me.

       ''No need. I am glad I could help'', I tell her.

  * * *

         Two weeks have passed  since Jay was put in prison. Everything is back to normal. My relationship with Raymond grew stronger and Rielle absolutely loves him. The law firm is given another star making it the second five-star law firm in New York. My salary increases as Mr. Jacobs makes me the C.E.O of the law firm.
Today, Raymond and I go for a walk in the park. We sit in the grass and talk for a while. After a few hours, he takes me to a hotel. We walk into the hotel and Raymond walks to the reception to get a room for us.
       ''Room 817. Second floor,fifth room on your right'', the receptionist says to him and gives him the room card.

       ''Shall we?'', he asks me and I nod. We get in the elevator.

Jay is finally in jail. Raymond and Nessa are so cute😩♥️
Next update coming soon

Don't forget to vote:) ✌🏼