Chapter 1

*Vanessa's p.o.v*

''Aah'', I groan as I wake up to the sound of the alarm beside my bed. I take off my pyjamas and wear my bath robe. The bathroom is just about four feet away from my bed. I go in and take a quick shower. I hurriedly go back into my room thinking I'm late for work and put on a grey pantsuit. There's no time for makeup. I brush my curled brunette hair and grab my purse. Just before I touch the door knob, a beep comes from my phone. As I open the message, my eyes widen with shock. The message reads;

' I see you don't have time for us anymore but that's fine, I found someone better than you...''

''That son of a bitch!'', I exclaim and in a matter of seconds, I calm myself down. Jay and I have been dating for the past six years and just like that, he dumps me. I should be mad but I've been a lawyer for five good years and I know my emotions shouldn't get the best of me. I delete his number and walk out of the house. I get in the car and drive to the law firm.

* * *

      ''Attorney Miller is here. I think she'll be the perfect person to defend Yinka'', Caleb says as i enter Mr. Jacob's office.

     ''And who is Yinka?'', I ask Caleb.

     ''She's a African immigrant who came to the U.S to search for greener pastchers...'', Mr. Jacobs says but Caleb cuts in.

     ''Yes but that's not all. She came across Jay who hired her as his secretary. During the time she worked there, she had an affair with Jay''.

My heart sinks and my facial expression changes. I nod and cross my legs as Caleb continues.

       ''...We are not sure of the status of their relationship. All we know is that two days ago,  Jay's butler was reported dead. His body was found a few yards from his house. This makes Yinka and Jay the prime suspects''

      ''I never knew that Jay could do that. Anyway, I'll defend Yinka'', I announce and they both give me smiles of absolute approval.

      ''That's the spirit'', Mr. Jacob says. He permits me to leave the office and Caleb follows me.

      ''Hey, should I call Yinka for you?'', he asks.

      ''Sure, that would be great'', I say

I walk to my office and as usual my desk is messy. I quickly clean my desk and place the files in my folder drawer. Glancing through the police report for the butler's death, I gasp as I discover that he was Jay's uncle. The autopsy reports show that he was beaten up and strangled. The culprit realized that he was not dead and cut his throat into two. I really hope it's not Jay who killed him. Even if he did, why? The door opens and my bestfriend, Petra walks in.

      ''Nessa!'',she shouts my name and I just shake my head. This is very typical of her.

      ''Hey girl. How are you doing?'', I ask her.

      ''Better than the president'', she says and we both laugh.

      ''And you?'', she asks and I sigh.

      ''I really don't know. Jay broke up with me and I was told to handle the case of Yinka, his secretary. That's because the butler was found dead and Jay appears to be missing'', I narrate and Petra looks as shocked as I was when I was told earlier. Just then, Caleb walks in with a young tanned skin lady behind him.

      ''Sorry to interrupt but Yinka is here'', Caleb says. I take a look at Yinka and shake my head. She looks sad and even has bags under her eyes as if she had been crying for days.

      ''You may have a seat Miss'', I say pointing to the chair beside Petra. She nods and sits. Caleb then walks out. As I look at the lady sitting across my desk, I realize I know her. I'd always see her whenever I visit Jay. She was apparently his maid. Now I know that was all a lie.

      ''Yinka, how could you?'', I ask but Yinka bows her head.

      ''Young lady, you were asked a question! Weren't you supposed to be Jay's maid? You are despicable!!'', Petra yells at her.

      ''I...I am sorry ma'am,'' she stammers and raises her head to look at me.

      '' How did you go from his maid to becoming his secretary and lover?'', I ask her and clear my throat.

      ''He told me that he was not happy with you and that he loves me. I rejected him but he forced me to be with him,'' Yinka sobs as she explains.

      ''And how are you connected to the butler's death?'', Petra asks and gives Yinka a cold stare.

      ''On the day of the incident, Jay woke me up earlier than usual and asked me to take some junk out. We took a big black garbage bag and put it in his trunk. It was surprisingly heavily. He went back inside to get something. I couldn't sit still so I opened the trunk and the bag. I saw the butler's body inside. I took a few steps back and ran as fast as I could out of the hose. I heard a gunshot and I turned to see Jay chasing me. I got hit by a car as I crossed the road. Jay just ran off.

The driver took me to the hospital and I narrated the incident the incident to the police,'' She narrates to us. I just stare with disbelief. I feel disappointed in Jay.

      ''You really suffered with him but why did you not report him to the ploice for abusing you?'', Petra asks her.

      '' I just couldn't'', Yinka says and sniffs her nose. I walk to her and hand over a tissue. She silently blows her nose.

      ''Do not worry. I'll help you look for Jay and he definitely rot in prison'', I assure her and she smiles.

The three of us walk out of my office and go to Mr. Jacob's office.

      ''I've talked to Yinka. Now we must find Jay as soon as possible'', I demand.

      ''There is still no sign of him. He left his mansion last night'', Caleb tells us. I shake my head.

Hey guys! This is the longest chapter I've ever written. Hope y'all enjoyed reading.
Next update coming soon

Please don't forget to vote:)