Epilogue: This Isn't Goodbye

Start from the beginning

My mom approached me with a sad smile. She was brushing my hair out of my face and sighed that it was so hard to let her baby girl leave home.

"It just hurts more," she sniffled, "Because I might not ever see you again."

Frowning, I hugged my mom. Shutting my eyes, I enjoyed our hug; feeling her arms around me.

"Don't cry, Mom. I'll be back. Whether it's a week from now or months, when you really need me... I'll be there."

I pulled back to see her nod before I turned to Dad.

He'd always been pretty open with his children when it came to showing emotion. For pack business was the only time I'd seen him always so serious. But right now, Dad's eyes watered and he swallowed hard as he reached over and rested his hand on my head. 

Dad leaned down to my eye level and he chuckled, "It's never easy seeing your little girl grow up, you know?" 

I grinned a bit, nodding without pulling from his hand. 

My dad's brows furrowed, removing his hand to tap my nose as he said, "I'm going to miss you so much, Button."

"I'm going to miss you too, Dad." I hugged him tightly, feeling him return the hug and he kissed my head, muttering against it that he loved me so much. I told him that I loved him so much more. 

Dad stepped back to let my siblings come forward. 

It was still crazy that our family of six quickly turned into eleven (including Emory because, I mean, hello. It's Emory.) in such a short time. I think that's why it wasn't as painful to leave my family behind when they would all still be together here. And with the new additions of Sawyer, Nikko and Iota, I was sure down the line they'd start their own families to fill the emptiness after a while. 

Wade frowned as he stepped up, shaking his head and tried again for the fourth time that morning to suggest he and Iota  go with us. That we could have three Caretakers instead of just one to protect the Quails all better. Wade promised that he didn't mind following Iota anywhere.

I smiled, tilting my head as I sighed at my brother that as much as I appreciated the offer, Wade couldn't do that. I told him how not all of us Werewolves get the opportunity to meet our True Mates and those who did should be able to enjoy that experience as much as they could. I added that because Quail Wolves didn't have mates, Wade and Iota would be total show-offs. 

I tried to make him laugh but all I got was a small grin. I'd take it. 

Wade sighed, pulling me to him. He held me tight and I shut my eyes, snuggling up against my big brother. 

"I love you, Wade," I muttered.

"And I love you, baby sister. Don't forget how much."

"I won't," I promised before turning to Nikko and Cody.

I told the older to take care of my baby brother. Cody grumbled that he wasn't a baby while Nikko nodded to me that he would do as asked. He glanced at my brother who blushed and nudged him to stop looking at him like that. Nikko chuckled before hugging me. 

Cody and I shared a small hug, and he whispered that he was going to miss me so much. I nodded that I'd miss him just the same.

"Don't get into so much trouble though, Cody, okay?"

My brother smirked, "No promises." and I rolled my eyes as he stepped back beside Nikko who wrapped an arm around his neck.

Cece and Sawyer were next and they both hugged me at the same time---awkwardly with their slinged arm and crutches---and thanked me for everything. They said without me, they wouldn't have ever found each other.