Epilogue: This Isn't Goodbye

.დ.❧.

"You have everything?"

"Yes."

"You sure?"

"Yes."

"Even---"

"Oh my fucking God, Iota! Yes!"

Vicky curled her lip, eyes wide as she huffed at her sister that the younger was more than capable of packing for a long-term trip. Iota lowered a brow, crossing her arms and reminded Vicky to mind her manners when out traveling. Vicky just grumbled under breath, staring at her hands as she cracked her knuckles. 

I grinned from where I was standing nearby and Iota stared at Vicky a moment before hugging her. Vicky stiffened, eyes wide as her arms were stuck under her sister's. The younger she-wolf sneered that Iota was hugging her too tight. Iota didn't seem to hear her.

Looking away from the two siblings, I turned to my own helping in packing the back of the truck provided to us as transportation.

Though I wasn't there, Nigel had spoken to my family about our plans of leaving to find the other Quail Wolves. My family obviously hated the idea of my leaving again when I had just gotten back so soon. But after much discussion and convincing on Nigel's part, my family---my dad especially---knew that because of who I was, I would not make much of a difference here in Carmel as I would somewhere else I'm needed. 

It had been decided that Dad would arrange to have one of the spare trucks from one of the pack members bought out to provide to us. And Mom had stayed up all night to pack a week's worth of meals and snacks (for Emory). 

As for who would be leaving Carmel with me, Nigel and Emory were obvious choices but then Vicky volunteered to come along as our Caretaker. Though we were surprised at this, Vicky shrugged that since she had no mate nor was she seeking one, it was best for Vicky to keep busy with keeping charge of me and the other Quails down the line. Iota reminded her of the responsibility of their Caretaker title and Vicky rolled her eyes that she'd been doing a good job of caring for two as of late.

"What's three or so more?" Vicky shrugged, sarcastically. Then scowled at Nigel and I that if there was more than eight she was calling it quits. Nigel narrowed his eyes at her, glancing at me and I held up a hand, shaking my head to just let it go.

As for Iota, she would be staying behind in Carmel. Being my brother's mate who was next to take over for Dad as the Head Warrior, they discussed the pros and cons to her decision before finally deciding that Iota would stay.  

She still was concerned for Emory, but I assured Iota that I would be there. That I wouldn't let anything happen to him.

"He's going to be alright, Iota." I promised. 

The woman sighed, nodding that I was right. She then smiled grimly that it was just her being so used to having him around. She had spent the whole night before with Emory in Wade's room. She had to explain to Emory that he would be leaving, and though Iota would not be seeing him for quite some time, that I would be right there with him.

"He cried a little," Iota sighed, then nodded that he was excited because I was his to protect anyway. That apparently made Emory feel a little better about leaving.

My parents and I had a long talk this morning about the areas in the U.S. that would most likely be safe to start a pack ground for us Quails. Dad felt that though I was stronger than the other Quails, we'd be vulnerable until properly trained. He gave an expectant look at Nigel that with the man's fighting skills, Dad suggested the blond be the one to help maintain the training for the Quails.