Twenty-Four: Ridge's Bold Move

.დ.❧

When I woke the following morning, it was to the ceiling of my bedroom. I frowned, momentarily forgetting just how I got back into my room the night before. 

A warm blush heated my entire face as I thought of how worn out I was the night before because of some... strenuous activities.

I rolled onto my side, the coolness of my pillow pressing into my face. 

Thinking about the night before, spending those few hours with Ridge made me smile, biting my bottom lip as I remembered every little detail of our time together. 

Before we had parted ways, Ridge pulled me to him; resting my hand against his chest and his green eyes held my gaze. 

I tilted my head, smiling that this was the perfect goodbye that I could have asked for.

"This isn't goodbye, Gianna. Not by a long shot."

"But---"

Ridge placed a finger to my lips, shaking his head. "I said it's not goodbye. I will protect you, no matter what."

"Ridge--- Ridge, you can't possibly be able to stop Alpha Wilson from taking me! What part of that don't you understand?! The deal's been made!"

Instead of being hot tempered and frustrated with me, my mate sighed and kissed my forehead.

Ridge softly replied, "And what part of me taking care of that did you not understand?"

I sighed, letting my shoulders sulk and shook my head with a small grin, "You're so hopeless."

Ridge shrugged a shoulder. "More the opposite. You should be the same. You always had hope for everything else but us. I think it's about time I change that for you. Starting tomorrow."

I had no idea what he meant. I kept pondering this question over and over again as I laid in bed. 

Pursing my mouth to the side, I tapped my finger on the mattress then decided it was best for me to start getting up. I tossed off the covers, rolling out of bed and stood in the middle of the room for what would be the last time. 

My eyes kept looking over everything and realized how every part of it had something to do with my life but by the end of today I'd be in a totally different room that I would make new memories in. Memories I wouldn't be so fond of. 

Looking skyward, I groaned and ran my fingers through my hair before trudging out of my room and into the bathroom. 

My older brother was coming out of it, towel drying his hair and stopped when he saw me. His hazel eyes looked my face over for a moment. 

I tried my best to smile at him but it faltered as my brother's hard expression was still plastered on his face. 

Tilting my head to the side, I shook it and shrugged a shoulder. "Come on, Wade... I don't know what you want me to tell you---"

I broke off when my older brother pulled me against him. My eyes widened, but then I calmed myself. I tightened my hold around him. 

Wade sighed against the side of my hair, muttering how could he have a sister he was supposed to be protecting be so strong at such a young age.

"That's just the Quail Wolf stereotype."

Wade pulled back, not letting me go completely. "Not true, Gigi. You have been hearing it all your life just how strong you are. Why is it that you can't believe it? Are you ever going to?"