Twenty-Two: Noble Sacrifice

.დ.❧

The she-wolf's grin widened, her glowing gold eyes taking me in. She chuckled again behind her lips but I only returned a growl. My shoulders rose as I lowered my head, gnashing my teeth in her direction.

"Mm..." She raised a brow, tilting her head and eyed those behind me. "So the rumors were true after all. The sighting of a true Quail Wolf in this region has reached for miles. No one could believe it considering its been centuries since the last one. Now that I see you before me, though..." The woman pursed her lips together before growling in satisfaction, "It's fascinating!"

The she-wolf raised a brow, focusing on me again. She bowed her head a bit and rested a hand on her bare chest. "Forgive me if I'm star-struck. You have to see my side of this whole ordeal, Quail Wolf. You see, I didn't think I'd live to see such a remarkable wolf. But now that you're here... right in front of me... I am just in awe."

Her eyes flicked up to the one behind me, grinning, "What a lucky, alpha-to-be. Ohhhh, yes, I was right about you. You're strong alright for being given such a powerful wolf to stand beside you. And what power she will bring you..."

The woman's expression went stoic. A brow rose again as she looked back at me. Her eyes turning back to her human gray.

"I knew you were hiding, Quail wolf! Forgive me, but to draw you out I had to make a pass at the mate you stand so protectively in front of. In all honesty, I have no use for an alpha! Not when he'd be like the others. Weak. He doesn't stand a chance as you do. For you... you could be great! I can show you how to be! You're not meant to be just an Alpha Female."

The woman threw her arms up, smirking through a sneer, "You're meant for more! The stories about Quail Wolves should be proof of that! You have greatness within you that shouldn't be tamed! Shouldn't be kept away! It was meant to be shown! To be seen---and feared---by all!"

Pausing, the she-wolf's grin softened as she sighed, "So I plead with you now..." She extended her hand out towards me, lifting her chin and whispered loud enough with a strong command, "Come with me."

The wolf side of me was intrigued by this woman's words. I could feel my wolf now, stirring her emotions. She was battling with me, trying to sway me to listen and to take the offer. It was even reminding me of my past months of heartache... torment... betrayal. She was reminding me of how much I endured and allowed for too long.

It was enticing, yes... but then I thought of everything my family did to protect me. To keep me safe.

'But were they really keeping you safe?' A raspy and whispered voice sneered in my head. 'Or were they just hiding what you were meant to be?'

The voice was luring me. It was enticing me to take the woman's words to heart. 

I felt my paw lift off the ground and step in her direction. I could see the smile on her face and she was pleased in my consideration of her offer. 

Those behind me, I could hear calling my name. They sounded so far away. So insignificant as my gaze locked with the she-wolf's. She was nodding slowly, holding out her hand with this invisible force to draw me in. 

But out of all the voices that shouted my name, of all the ones pleading for me to stop what I was doing. It was his. It was his that made me halt.

I looked over my shoulder, my narrowed blue eyes meeting his green ones. He looked stunned for a moment, seeing my icy hue but it was only for a moment. Ridge's face contorted into a frown, his eyes pleading as he slowly shook his head, whispering for me to not go.