Thirty-Four: Back to Square One

.დ.❧.

The rain pelting down was making it a lot harder to see. Even with the headlights and windshield wipers didn't help much. I kept having to lean forward, squinting my eyes.

Letting out a defeated sigh, I sat back in the driver's seat and decided to turn my attention elsewhere; like to the two sleeping forms beside me. 

I first glanced at Vicky in the passenger seat; leaning against the door with her head using the window as a pillow, though sometimes it would slowly nod downward before she would subconsciously pull it upright again. Her arms were crossed in front of her, probably being cold from the lack of a sweater over that tank top of hers.

Unless she needed to speak Vicky had not spoken a word. 

Vicky was the type of person who dealt with things in her own way. And I couldn't imagine dealing internally over your own flesh and blood being a completely psychotic person, and having said flesh and blood kill your sister.

Vicky held a bit of harshness in her response to me when I had questioned earlier if she was hungry. She narrowed her eyes and sneered that she was fine before turning away. 

She wouldn't even answer Emory when he would ask her through sniffles on the whereabouts of Iota.  I did see the way she swallowed hard and kept her tear-brimmed eyes on the window when she whispered, "She's gone."

I glanced down by my arm where Emory was resting his head with it slightly tilted up. His mouth was hanging open. Dried tear streaks were still on his cheeks after he and I had to sit down when we stopped to use the restroom an hour after leaving the State Park area. 

Vicky has seated herself away from us because she was pissed off at me for whatever reason.

When I explained to Emory what happened back there, his dark eyes were worried. He frowned more and more as I started to tell him about the bad woman who showed up and that said woman happened to be related to Iota and Vicky.

"Emory..."

I bit my lip, looking down a moment to take a deep breath. Looking back up at him, I started to open my mouth to speak but couldn't get a word out. 

The way he was looking at me was heartbreaking.

With his eyebrows quirked, Emory slowly leaned over towards my ear with his hand cupped next to his mouth. He whispered, "Gianna...? Am I not going to see Iota again?"

I waited til he pulled back for me to tilt my head and shook it slowly. "No... No, you're not, Emory."

Emory vaulted himself onto me. He tightened his arms around my neck and I just held him. His hard sobs made my heart ache, and I snuggled up against him.

From where we were kneeled on the side of the road, I glanced over at Vicky who was leaned back against the side of the truck with her arms crossed. She raised her eyes up to me and then looked away after watching Emory cry his heart out.

Now the kid was attached to me. He sought comfort into my side as we drove on the road and whenever he slept it was on either my lap or my side. 

It made it a bit difficult to drive, to be honest, but he's a kid and just lost the woman taking care of him. I'm just going to have to set aside my own comfort for his.

The windshield wipers squeaked as they dragged themselves back and forth against the window, giving me brief moments to see before the rain covered it up again.