Forty-Five: Prophetic Threat

.დ.❧.

It was easier to travel through the forest since it would have taken me twice as long if I went through the path in town. My mind was reeling with how much damage was done to Carmel. The fire would have consumed parts of the shops; with many repairs needed immediately.

Then there were the fallen that would have to be taken care of. I couldn't imagine how many humans didn't get out in time before the fight broke out. The painful screams echoed in my mind, making me squeeze my eyes shut for a second and let out a long breath.

Swallowing, I lifted my head when I was exiting from the treeline of the forest and someone called my name.

Seeing Iota coming towards me, with Vicky close behind her, I sighed, shoulders slumped and lowered my gaze as they approached. 

Iota slowed a few steps from me and I noticed her gray eyes looking me over. I didn't have to look down to see the amount of blood covering me. Vicky stopped short when she too looked at me and her brows furrowed while swallowing down hard.

Her eyes lifted to mine and I just stared back. 

From the way Vicky's lip trembled a little, she knew that her sister was gone. Her shoulders sulked and she frowned at the ground while I turned back to Iota with a stone-like look.

As much as I felt sorry for her and Vicky about their loss of another family member... I was not sorry that I killed Madilynn. It was inevitable.

The willowy silver-blonde frowned a little, taking a few seconds to hold herself together. "It's done...?" was all she asked, her gray eyes tearing.

I stared a bit longer than necessary, then nodded in confirmation. "It's done."

Vicky stepped back, taking in a short breath and Iota squeezed her eyes shut. She lowered her head, shaking her head and mumbled indirectly to her sister about why she couldn't let Iota save her.

When Iota looked up at me, she understood my decision in killing her sister. With everything that she's done, Madilynn had to be taken care of. There was no room for discussion. Not by any means.

Iota glanced at Vicky who sniffled through her frown, asking, "Was---was it quick?"

I shifted my gaze back to Iota who seemed to read me quite clearly.

Madilynn was a fast runner. Fear does that though. It gives you that small burst to your adrenaline to help run faster. And the she-wolf had every right to be fearful because of one thing: I was coming for her.

Her scent still drifted in the air, but it was enough to know that she was close.

Mm. Guess she's not that fast.

Speeding in the direction of where I could smell her, it wasn't until my feet started crunching the leaves underneath them that her scent started picking up more. 

With my honed in hearing, and in between the creek's blubbering water against the rocks, I could hear the she-wolf's fearful panting up ahead.

My eyes brightened to my wolf's as my lip curled in anticipation. With my vision straight forward, I ran past the trees, dodging around those that were grown too close to the other. There was no other movement other than the flash of the blonde running to the left.

Growling under my breath, I sped in the same direction. I had to leap over a large, moss-covered log and let my feet thud to floor before speeding off again. 

Again, I listened for Madilynn's panting, and I chuckled, calling out, "Come out, come out, wherever you are!"

With the taunt, I heard her breathing pick up with a sob or two. Her panic would have been something I'd taken into consideration to show mercy, but she fucked with the wrong she-wolf; awakening the beast inside. She had it long coming.