Forty-Six: Bittersweet Revelation

.დ.❧.

"I am sorry for your loss, Iota," I assured her, but then shook my head. "But not for what had to be done. I have others' safety to worry about."

My Caretaker seemed to understand because she closed her eyes, nodding at me as she confirmed, "I can't fault you for had to be done, Gigi."

Her eyes opened, shimmering a little with her tears. "I'm just sorry it had to end so tragically."

Iota stepped forward, raising a hand to place on the side of my cheek. Her gray eyes, so filled with warmth, smiled as she did when lowering her voice to thank me. 

Iota out out a long breath, assuring me that because of me, Emory was safe. I smiled at the mention of that kid, nodding silently.

My eyes widened, startled, when I heard him cry, "Gianna!"

Turning, I found Emory rushing in my direction after Cody let go of his hand. I beamed, holding out my arms while the boy ran over. He hugged my waist, squeezing his eyes shut. 

Resting my head on his as I bent forward, I gently tightened my hold on him.

"You did it, Gianna!" Emory muffled against me before pulling his head back to tilt up. "You saved me!"

I smiled, nodding that I did. I brushed his hair back from his forehead and he giggled, jumping up and down while chattering a hundred miles per hour about how cool it was to see me with my 'Snail' eyes.

Lowering a brow and raising the other high, I stared at him. He kept telling me about how he could see how strong I was and that he wanted me to teach him to be strong like that too.

"And---and then you can teach me to control other Snails too!"

I laughed, shaking my head that perhaps I could, when he was older.

"Awwww," Emory pouted.

"Come now, Young One," Iota smiled, motioning him to her. "Gigi has people to speak to, and it's best to get you cleaned up anyway."

"But, Iota!"

The she-wolf raised a brow, blinking once that made the eight year old blush and raise his shoulders up high sheepishly. Emory looked up at Wade standing now with Iota. He weakly grinned at my brother who winked at him.

Without her saying another word, Emory obediently nodded, "Okay, Iota..."

Iota grinned, shaking her head and nodded to the side, "Come on then. You need a good scrubbing, some dinner and then it's bedtime."

She held his hand as the eight year old went willingly, but was still protesting all the reasons why he couldn't go to bed yet. One of them being that he hadn't eaten his three bowls of 'pazgetti' yet. 

Not looking down, Iota patiently replied, "Then you shall eat a few bowls. Then it's off to sleep."

"Awwww!" Emory whined, looking up at Wade to plead with the man to help him out.

Shaking my head, I smiled after them. When someone appeared beside me I turned to look at Vicky. She still had a frown but there weren't tears anymore. Her eyes shifted to mine, carefully looking my face over for a moment.

"My sister's right, Shorty... about our sister, I mean. And... and how it had to be done. You even told me that you were going to kill her. And you went through with it."

I said nothing at first. Just waited to see if she was going to say anything else. When she didn't, I nudged Vicky that she was to keep her chin up. That I wouldn't have one of my Caretakers being more of a sour puss than usual.