Sixteen: ... Unravels the Thread

.დ.❧.

The dance had already started when we arrived.

Everyone we passed nodded their heads and gave us congratulations on the mate recognition between my sister and Sawyer. My sister was already scanning the crowd for him and I was too. When I found him by the table with all the food, stuffing his face with a sandwich, I pointed him out and Cece ran over to him.

Sawyer dropped his sandwich in the process of catching my sister when she had thrown herself into his arms. He laughed when Cece began giving him pecked kisses along his jaw. I smiled to myself, feeling so happy for my sister.

Beside me, Wade nudged me if I was going to be alright if he went to talk to some of his friends. I nodded, patting him on the arm then he walked off. My parents had disappeared in the process of our arrival so I assumed Dad went to find the alpha to report in. 

Cody also was gone the minute we arrived. He gave me a silent look when he saw his group of friends calling him over. They were already on the dance floor, busting some odd moves with a few girls. I gave my little brother an encouraging nod and I placed my finger to my lips, winking at him. Cody beamed, running off to meet up with Mark and a few other boys. 

I clasped my hands together in front of me, walking around the Square and grinned to myself when hearing so many of the party-goers admiring the walls I painted my mural on. They were talking about it and some taking pictures beside it. It made me feel proud that my work was appreciated even if they had no idea I did it. They were admiring pieces of Carmel in my own version and I couldn't ask for more.

I was weaving through the crowd, giggling at some children scurrying by with cake on their mouths and screaming happily on their sugar rush. It wasn't until I made my second round around the Square that Eden popped up with a smile.

"Girl, I've been looking everywhere for you!" she smiled, hugging me before congratulating me about my sister. 

"Thanks! It's so beautiful here!" I shouted over the loud music, pointing out the twinkling white Christmas lights that were weaved across the open air above us. The ceiling was left open again and it just made the lights illuminate more. There were tables covered in white and red table cloths with floral center pieces that I was sure Mom was going to try and take home with her. Dad might have to convince her to take only one or two. 

"You look so pretty, Gigi!" Eden looked at me. 

I held out the skirt of the dress, smiling my thanks and told her that I felt pretty. I complimented her on the green velvet dress that had a black bow belt around the middle. She had her hair down as always with a pair of hoop earrings on her ears.

"Come on!" Eden took hold of my hand, saying that she wanted something to drink.

We made our way across the dance floor as a short cut then made it to the table where I could see Cece and Sawyer seated at a table with my parents. She waved at me, a wide smile on her face, and I waved back. 

Eden passed me a cup of punch and I sipped away after clinking my cup with hers. We were standing there, enjoying our own company and I told Eden about the mural that I worked on. She was impressed, saying that she'd seen it earlier with her parents and they took pictures like it was a prom. We laughed, enjoying ourselves when something just had to ruin it.

"Gigi...?"

I spun around, wide eyed at Molly standing there with her parents. They looked at me with smiles and I nodded my head respectfully before looking back at Molly. She was admiring my dress and I would be lying if i didn't say I liked the look of envy on her face.