Nineteen: Unnecessary Despair

.დ.❧.

As Dad and I stood by the creek in the forest, all that was running through my head was of me becoming this bad person. All growing up, I was as nice as possible to everyone I met and when they'd do me wrong, I was too naive to notice. I just let it happen.

Perhaps the Darkness hadn't overwhelmed me because it wasn't so constant. It wasn't looming over me as it had been for the past month. With everything that had happened, I was starting to understand my dad's fear of why he would think I was going dark.

To say that I was frightened, was an understatement. Dad had mentioned that Quail Wolves lose their humanity. 

Did that mean I was going to be taken over by my wolf? Did this mean my wolf and human side would no longer share this body?

Would I become an evil person?

My vision began to blur the longer I stared at the creek. My heart sunk at the possibility that my life was going to change for the worse. More than it already has.

"Daddy..." I whimpered, looking at my dad with wide eyes. "Daddy, I'm frightened!"

My dad pulled me into his arms, kissing the top of my head and shook his own that he was going to help me. That he and the rest of my family were going to help me control my wolf from taking over.

"As long as you see the good in everything, Gigi, there will be good in you. I know there's more good in you than bad. I've seen it all your life. I have no doubt that we can beat this. That you can beat this."

I cried harder against him, wrapping my arms tighter. The fear in me was worse now.

"And," Dad paused to swallow hard. "And I'm going to make sure no one hurts you should they find out about you. I won't let them. You are meant for great things, like protecting this pack---which is why I think fate had given you an alpha as a mate---but I feel like it was so much more than that, Gigi. I feel you were meant to be more than just an Alpha Female."

Dad sighed, resting his cheek on my head.

"I know you're scared, Button. But don't think for one minute I will let you fall prey to the Darkness. I'd give my very last breath to make sure you don't turn."

I snuggled closer, letting my tears fall down my face. 

It was comforting to be in his arms and I wanted to pretend I was little again when he'd tell me the Quail Wolf bed time story. Back then that's all it was. A story. Now it was something that would define who I was since I was thirteen.

Pulling my head up to look at Dad, he looked down at me with a tearful smile. He wasn't a man to really cry about things, but I  could see why he would now. He took his thumbs and wiped away my tears simultaneously.

Dad breathed out, "You have a beautiful soul, Gianna. I, and the others, will only be able to help so much. Only you will be strong enough to fight back and not let it claim you."

It was at this moment that Dad grinned a bit, chuckling, "I see your wolf side is confused about whether it should be taking dominance with this discussion. Your eyes keep flickering from gold to blue." He was still holding my face in his hands.

After Dad kissed my forehead, I shut my eyes, slowly calming down from the loving touch. 

When i opened my eyes, Dad smirked, "There. The human side of you is back in control. Seems a little love is all you need, Button."

I smiled, swallowing down the lump in my throat and nodded. 

My dad sighed, with a nod to the side, "Come on. I'm sure your mom and siblings are worried about you. Plus... Mom's going to be a bit irritated you broke her furniture."