Ten: Bittersweet Moments

It was morning when I woke up. Still early from the chirping of the morning birds up above. The wind rustled the leaves, awakening me with its symphony.

I blinked a few times, my brows furrowed as I took in my surroundings. Where was I?

I lifted my head, hearing the crinkling of what sounded like leaves before looking down where I lay and seeing, in fact, leaves.

Last night came hurling back at me. My sleepiness waned almost immediately and I looked down at myself, still in my bra and shorts.

I glanced at the arm draped over my naked waist then peered over my shoulder to see Ridge was still here. He was sleep, his chest rising and falling. This moment made him look much younger than he was. It made me smile a bit.

My brain finally caught up to the situation and I knew my parents would be up by now to wake us all up for breakfast.

I swallowed hard, scrunching my nose because I knew I'd be in so much trouble if I didn't get home before my parents found out my room was empty. I'm sure Cece wouldn't be able to give a good excuse to why I'd be missing. I'm not an early riser.

Muttering a curse under my breath, I carefully peeled Ridge's arm off me. I wiggled out from under it, lowering his arm down again once free.

I stood up, going over to grab my shirt and tug it back on. I tucked my hair behind my ear, looking back over to where Ridge was still sleeping. My brows dipped, contemplating what I should do.

It was best to not wake him, I decided. What happened last night was beautiful and I will always cherish it... but it was meant to stay in the dark. To stay with the "what if" part of my hopefulness.

I did have one thing left to do though and even if it would hurt, it would only be for a little while. Just until I got a hold of my heartache and mended it.

I slipped my shoes back on, tip toeing back to where the Beta slept. Kneeling beside him, my gaze took in his sleeping face and admired the rest of him. It was needed for me to see him like this. Just once.

Tilting my head, I reached over and hesitated before brushing back Ridge's hair off his forehead. He made a soft moan at my touch but otherwise stayed asleep.

I pressed a kiss to his forehead and whispered against it, "You will always... be my everything."

My eyes looked his face over, my finger tracing down his cheek but careful to not wake him. I really had to go now. I was already going to be in enough trouble as it is.

Biting my lip, I got up and started walking away. About ten feet from Ridge, I stopped and held my hand over my heart. My eyes shut, preparing for what I needed to do by taking a deep breath.

My chin trembled, looking over my shoulder at the sleeping male.

"I accept your rejection, Ridge Beaumont... And---and relinquish the ties of being your Alpha female."

My heartstrings snapped, making me double over as this painful ache shot through every part of me. I bit back a cry, gritting my teeth and squeezed my eyes shut.

My knees shook, my body just as shaky. I whimpered, stumbling forward---forcing myself to distance myself from Ridge. I pushed to stumble through the forest, my vision blurring as it hit me so hard what I've done.

I accepted the rejection. All ties with Ridge had been broken and now he would be free to marry Molly and mate with her fully without having to worry about me. I could see the beautiful children that they'd make someday and the life they'd live growing old together.